You are here
Donald Macgregor (born 1837) lived in Latheron, but it is not certain he was born there.
Donald became a divinity student and went to college during the winter and spring but taught in Tolsta during his college vacations. He worked for the Edinburgh Ladies Highland Association and initially taught at the semi derelict Taigh-sgoile Beag, from 1854. After the new school building, Sgoil na Leddies, was completed, in 1858, he worked there.
He was extremely popular and was very interested in the welfare of the community, even cutting down his own clothes for the poorer children who could not otherwise attend school. He is not thought to have taught Gaelic, but set up a sewing class and taught gardening; he shared carrots, turnips and cabbages with the children; the parents returned the favour by keeping him in potatoes, fish, eggs and mutton.
In 1866 he added a sewing class to the curriculum.
In 1871 he was licensed by the Stornoway Presbytery.
Donald never married.