You are here

Mulhaggery, Lewis

Mulhaggery, Lewis

In 1820 there were four households listed in the township of Mulhaggery:

Duncan Mackay - his daughter Ann married at 10 Arivruach

John Macinnes - no further trace

John Matheson - emigrated to St Anns in Cape Breton in 1826

John Mackay - no further trace

After the clearance in 1826, the township became the home of shepherds in the area:

Robert Fairbairn (1817) from Roxburgh, wife unknown and four children Angus (1844); Alexander (1846); Mary (1848) and Robert (1851)

Norman Macdonald (1830) and his wife Isabella Thomson (1833) had a family of eleven children: Catherine (1851); Duncan (1853); Norman (1854); Mary Ann (1856); John (1860); Donald (1862); Marion (1865); Murdo John (1867); Isabella (1874); Norman (1876) who died in infancy and Norman (1878)

In the 1880s, the family moved to the Castle Grounds, Stornoway.

Angus Macleod and his family eventually moved to Stornoway.

 

 

Title: Mulhaggery, Lewis
Record Type: Locations
Gaelic Name: Mul Thàgaraidh; Molhagearraidh; Mol Chadha a' Ghàrraidh
Type: Clachan
Grid Ref Easting: 136609
Grid Ref Northing: 906632
Record Maintained By: CEP
Subject Id: 29280