You are here

BRENISH, LEWIS - TOWN (Undated), Smithy (Undated), MILL (Undated)

BRENISH, LEWIS - TOWN (Undated), Smithy (Undated), MILL (Undated)

Summary:

TOWN (Undated)
Smithy (Undated)
MILL (Undated)
Centred on NA 990 256

Location:

NA 990 256

Full description:

NA92NE 2.01 centred on 990 256

A township comprising thirty-six roofed buildings, which include a Smithy and three Corn Mills [see: NA92NE 2.02], eleven partially roofed buildings, which are annotated as Ruins, eight unroofed buildings, which are annotated as Ruins, several enclosures and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, Island of Lewis 1854, sheet 29). Forty-two roofed, one partially roofed, thirty-five unroofed buildings, several enclosures and the fragmentary remains of a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 August 1997

Acknowledgement:

Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.

 

Title: BRENISH, LEWIS - TOWN (Undated), Smithy (Undated), MILL (Undated)
Record Type: Historical/ Archaeological Sites
Type: Mill
SMR Record ID: MWE134086
Grid Ref Northing: 925600
Grid Ref Easting: 99000
Record Maintained By: CEU
Subject Id: 32398