You are here

TIGH A' BHEANNAICH, LEWIS - CHAPEL (Undated)

TIGH A' BHEANNAICH, LEWIS - CHAPEL (Undated)

Summary:

CHAPEL (Undated)
Chapel

Location:

NB 0388 3790

Full description:

NB03NW 1 0388 3790.

(NB 0388 3790) The ruins of a small chapel lie on the promontory 'An Bheannachadh' (Gaelic: 'The Blessing' - a name commonly applied to places which a saint had blessed, or had his church. W J Watson 1926.) The promontory has always been considered a holy place. (Detail shown on OS 6"map but not named).
The 'Teampull', known as 'Tigh a Bheannaich', stands to an average height of about 4ft, with the fallen upper part of the wall filling up the interior to a considerably depth. It measures 18' 1" by 10' 8" internally within walls 2' 7" to 3' 6" thick, constructed of stone bonded with clay.
A spring showing slight evidence of building around it lies about 32' SW of the church.
RCAHMS 1928, visited 1914; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; W J Watson 1926.

Tigh a' Bheannaich, the remains of a chapel, as described and planned by the RCAHMS.
The spring is now filled in, but still shows a trickle of water.
Visited by OS (R L) 1 July 1969.

'The monument...comprises the remains of a small chapel of simple construction called, "Tigh a 'Bheannaich" (Blessing House). The area to be scheduled is square with sides measuring a maximum of 26m to include the chapel and an area surrounding it which may contain evidence for activity associated with its use and construction.'
HS Scheduling Document 5 May 1992.

References:

The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916, Publisher: William Blackwood, The History of the Celtic Place-Names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology 1916. 263
D & T MacGibbon & Ross. The ecclesiastical architecture of Scotland from the earliest Christian times to the seventeenth century, Publisher: David Douglas, The Ecclesiastical Architecture of Scotland from the earliest Christian Times to the17th Century. 80 plan fig. 43
RCAHMCS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles, Publisher: HMSO The RCAHMS 9th Report and Inventory: Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. 18-19, No. 63 plan fig. 53

Acknowledgement:

Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.

Title: TIGH A' BHEANNAICH, LEWIS - CHAPEL (Undated)
Record Type: All Records
Type: Chapel
SMR Record ID: MWE4026
Grid Ref Easting: 103880
Grid Ref Northing: 937900
Record Maintained By: CEU
Subject Id: 32992