You are here

GEARRAIDH A' SGURAIN, LEWIS - SHIELING (Undated)

GEARRAIDH A' SGURAIN, LEWIS - SHIELING (Undated)

Sheilings on this part of the moor were used by Bernera crofters prior to 1872, when sporting estates were established at Morsgail and Scaliscro. The grazing right on this land was taken off them and they were forced to move nearer home.

Summary:

SHIELING (Undated)
Shielings

Location:

NB 191 236

Full description:

NB12SE 10 191 236

A number of shielings to which is attached a small portion of green or arable land. Some of these shielings are in ruins, the others are inhabited for about eight weeks in the summer.
Name Book 1851

Four unroofed shieling-huts, which are annotated as Ruins, and two roofed shieling-huts are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, Island of Lewis 1853, sheet 31). Four unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 August 1997

References:

Original Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Ross-shire, No. 86, p. 22

Acknowledgement:

Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.

 

Title: GEARRAIDH A' SGURAIN, LEWIS - SHIELING (Undated)
Record Type: All Records
Type: Shieling
SMR Record ID: MWE74703
Grid Ref Easting: 119100
Grid Ref Northing: 923600
Record Maintained By: CEBL
Subject Id: 31367