You are here
Angus "Ease" Macleod (1916-2002) was a son of John Macleod and Isabella Nicolson of 8 Calbost. Angus attended Planasker School in Marvig from 1921 and left at 14, becoming a cook on fishing boats. At 18 he joined the Royal Naval Reserve and subsequently the merchant service, leaving in 1938. He was waiting for his call-up to war when he took ill with tuberculosis, and was hospitalised in Glasgow. He returned to Calbost in 1941 an invalid; his parents died around that time and he struggled to keep himself going as a weaver. Angus then became a tweed buyer for a London firm, and spent many years in the industry, becoming a producer himself.
In 1946 he married Anne Macinnes of 8 Gravir and they lived in Stornoway, first on Kenneth Street and then in Marybank, where for some years they ran a general store. Their only child Ishbel died at 15 and the couple adopted two children. When Angus withdrew from tweed production in 1969, he and Anne ran a tourist business, offering bed and breakfast, caravans and a holiday house.
After his retirement Ease devoted his energies to voluntary work, serving on a number of organisations and becoming the Honorary President of the Scottish Crofters Union. Throughout his life he was committed to the preservation of local history and traditional ways, and he established the Calbost Collection of hundreds of local artefacts, now in the care of Museum nan Eilean in Stornoway. He also led the Cuimhneachan nan Gaisgeach project, which commemorates the heroes of the land struggle by means of cairns designed by the artist Will Maclean.
Ease also collected a vast number of books and manuscripts on the history of Calbost, Pairc, Lewis and the Highlands and Islands in general, which are now preserved in the Angus Macleod Archive in Kershader, open to the public for research.
He was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire in the 1987 New Year's Honours.