You are here

Carloway Historical Society

Carloway Historical Society

Comann Eachdraidh Chàrlabhaigh (Carloway Historical Society) was established in 1987 and covers the area from Tolsta Chaolais to Dalmore in Lewis. It is run by a voluntary committee of 12 who have, through the use of funding, been able to take on employees for specific projects from time to time. The comann eachdraidh is based in the Old School Canteen at Carloway Primary School.

The comann eachdraidh publishes a yearly magazine, Sop às gach Seid, and has also produced local telephone directories and leaflets providing information on local walks. A full list of Comann Eachdraidh Chàrlabhaigh publications and their prices is available upon application to the society.

Past projects include compiling croft histories, recording interviews on local history, and compiling annotated maps of many crofts in the locality. The society has also restored a well-known hill-top landmark - a memorial cairn erected in 1902 to mark the Coronation of King Edward VII and to commemorate a bonfire to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. There was also participation in the work surrounding the restoration of Gearrannan Blackhouse Village. Public events include discussions with guest speakers and storytelling evenings. Every year at the Carloway Show, the comann eachdraidh organises a display or exhibition. These have included a display of old wedding dresses and demonstrations of creel-making and tweed-waulking. Each New Year, the comann eachdraidh organises a walk to the top of Beinn Iomhair where the district flag, designed by the society, is unfurled.

For contact details, see the Comann Eachdraidh Chàrlabhaigh page on our website.

 

Title: Carloway Historical Society
Record Type: Organisations
Gaelic Name: Comann Eachdraidh Chàrlabhaigh
Date Established: 1987
Record Maintained By: CEC
Subject Id: 107566