You are here

Natural Landscape Features

Natural Landscape Features

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort ascending Id
Sanctuary Ford, Carinish The ford's name Fadhail na Combraig presumably relates to the sanctuary that would have surrounded Teampall na Trianaid, which lies to the north. 109043
Sruthan na Combraig, Carinish The stream Sruthan na Combraig, or Sruthan na Comraich as it is referred to in Beveridge's North Uist, may have formed the southern boundary of the sanctuary surrounding Teampall na Trianaid. 109046
Bealach an Od, Borve Bealach an Od lies alongside Berneray's cockle beach, An Tràigh Shrùbain. It would have been an ideal location for the horse races that once took place on the island. 113432
Sgeir Mheadhan na Traghad Sgeir Mheadhan na Tràghad lies within Borve's tidal loch, known locally as An Tràigh Shrùbain. 113433
Clach an t-Saoir Bhain, Sheabie Clach an t-Saoir Bhàin is a light coloured rock to the west of Eilean an Dùnain, near Sheabie. Its name means 'rock of the fair joiner or boat builder'. This story is from Sea-names of Berneray: On this rock, the joiner... 117369
Rubha na h-Aibhne Duibhe, North Uist Tenants of Borve, Berneray including Angus Ferguson used to gather peat at Rubha na h-Aibhne Duibhe during the 18th century. The headland was also known as the Black Point of Fidday, or simply Fiday. 117448
An t-Os, Borve, Berneray Borve's river, Abhainn Bhuirgh, enters the sea at this point, having  been diverted from its previous route in 1854. 118074
Abhainn Bhuirgh, Borve, Berneray Borve's river, Abhainn Bhuirgh, flows across the machair and the cockle beach, An Tràigh Shrùbain, to An t-Os, where it enters the sea. Before 1854, when its route was diverted south by William MacNeil, tacksman of... 118075
Sgeir a' Bhata Reothairt, Sound of Harris Sgeir a' Bhàta Reothairt is also known by the people of Berneray as An Ròbhair, the Rover. 118187
Stornoway Harbour, Stornoway This sheltered natural harbour was named in the early ninth centure by the Vikings as Stjórnavágr (steering bay), and lends its name to the settlement which grew up around it. It is located on the east coast of the Isle... 120886
Kebbock Head Extract from Stornoway Gazette, 24 April 1931 Ceann na Cabag, or Kebbock Head, a stretch of wild, rugged moorland, dotted with hills, lochs and streams, and scenery of remarkable beauty, lies between Loch Shell and Loch... 12545
Creag an Eich Glas This hill lies to the village side of Eilean Mor 26288
Loch Sgaire A loch on the Lundale moor named after Zachary Macaulay who was killed beside it by Morrisons from Ness for stealing their cattle. People who had their peat banks in this area and used the loch water to make their tea,... 28024
Creag Sgaire A rock on the Lundale moor named after Zachary Macaulay. He was the leader of a band of Macaulays from Uig who had stolen cattle from Morrisons in Ness. The Morrisons caught up with Zachary and two kinsmen whilst they... 28025
Leac a Phlea, Lacasaigh Leac a Phlea is situated at the site of the Gaelic School in Laxay and is so named as it is the site where the schoolchildren played. 28626
Leac nan Gillean, Suardail On the narrowing neck of land between Loch Erisort and Loch Luerbost lies the deserted village of Swordale where the church was once located. Leac nan Gillean is at the east end of this neck - the name means the Stone... 36215
Loch Barraglom Part of Loch Roag, stretching from Bernera Bridge to the narrow area between Crulivig and Tiddaborra 36294
Lundale Moor, Lewis A strip of moor belonging to Grimersta estate given to Lundale for grazing land. The Eastern boundary runs from East Loch Roag between Beinn Scarista and Collavol, dissecting Loch Smuaisaval North to South until it... 36488
Eilean Mor Lacasaidh A small island located in Loch Erisort, to the south of Laxay village. 36512
Earshader & Crulivig Moor A stretch of moor on Grimersta estate given to Earshader and Crulivig for grazing land. It is situated between Lundale moor and Bernera moor.It extends south to Loch an Fhir Mhaoil and north to the back of the Crulivig. 36513
Bernera Moor, Lewis Moorland, belonging to Scalisro estate; given to Bernera for grazing during the summer months only. It stretches from the back of Earshader to Loch an Fhir Mhaoil, its eastern boundary is the Earshader & Crulivig... 36514
Sgeir a Mhorghain A skerry located just off shore in Little Loch Roag, to the rear of 6 Enaclete. 38034
Sgeir a Gharaidh A skerry located in Little Loch Roag, to the rear of 8 Enaclete. 38035
Cnoc Eothail A small rocky hill above Baile na Cille manse and cemetery. It is from Cnoc Eothail that the earth for the cemetery is supposed to have been carried, in panniers on a white horse; it's also the spot from which Coinneach... 38625
Loch Beag na Muilne The nearer of the two lochs that fed the Ungeshader mill. 38627
Ollashal Hill overlooking Loch Croistean; there are several shielings on its slopes. 38628
Loch Stacsavat The loch downstream from Suainebhat, inland from Uig Sands. From this loch sand was carried for the building of Uig Lodge in 1876. 38686
Loch Sgaileir A long shallow freshwater loch between Cliff Beach and Miaviag Bay, at the Valtos peninsula. According to D Maciver, Place Names of Lewis and Harris, it has had three names [derived from the Norse] in its history, the... 38893
Gallan Head A high headland beyond Aird Uig at the wide entrance to Loch Roag. 38896
Loch a' Bheannaich Loch a' Bheannaich (Loch of Blessings) is situated to the west of the village of Aird Uig on the headland known as An Bheannachadh. Near it is a cluster of buildings, some religious in purpose, including Taigh a'... 38898

Pages