You are here

Locations

Locations

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
New Zealand 1078
Laxdale, Lewis The village of Laxdale lies to the north of Stornoway and at the head of the River Laxdale estuary. Satellite Image 9089
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire 6667
Garrabost, Lewis Garrabost is a village located in the Point area of Lewis. Satellite Image 13180
Dundee Dundee is Scotland's fourth largest city, located in the historical county of Angus (Forfarshire). 18575
Liverpool 3778
Fife The historical county of Fife, sometimes referred to as the Kingdom of Fife, lies to the north of the Firth of Forth on the east side of Scotland. Its capital is Dunfermline, where Robert the Bruce is buried. It is also... 7703
Branahuie, Lewis Branahuie is a village located to the east of Stornoway where the land becomes a narrow isthmus. It was settled mainly with crofters cleared from Pairc and elsewhere around the middle of the 19th century. Satellite... 15322
Brunei Brunei, officially the Sultanate of Brunei, is a country located on the island of Borneo in southeast Asia. 10703
Pitlochry, Perthshire 2958
Europe 9177
Durban, South Africa Durban is a large city in KwaZulu Natal. The port is the busiest in South Africa and the town is a major tourist centre. 23234
Melbost, Lewis Melbost is a village and crofting township on the east coast of the Isle of Lewis, lying about 2 miles east of Stornoway at the western end of the Braigh. Stornoway Airport is adjacent to the village. The Gaelic poet... 12846
Luachair, Harris Luachair is Gaelic for 'rushes'. This small settlement on the Harris side of Loch Resort was inhabited for many centuries. In 1900 there were three houses and a school (which also served the families in nearby Crola)... Yes 1721
Isle of Scarp, Harris Scarp is a a small island, without permanent habitation since 1970, situated to the west of Hushinish on Harris. The island, which once supported (albeit precariously) some 200 residents, is over 300 metres high, with... Yes 19411
Cumbernauld, Dunbartonshire Cumbernauld in the historical county of Dunbartonshire was the site of a Roman settlement near the Antonine Wall. More recently it became a centre for weaving, mining and quarrying. After these industries declined,... 15104
Torostay, Lewis The hamlet of Torostay is an extension of Caverstay, although it is a couple of miles away. The croft numbers begin at Caverstay where the first 4 crofts are and crofts 5 and 6 are at Torostay. At one time all that land... 372
Balmacara, Ross & Cromarty Balmacara is a village located about about three miles from Kyle of Lochalsh in Ross & Cromarty, near to the Isle of Skye. 41692
Angus (Forfarshire) The historical county of Angus was located on the east coast of Scotland to the south of Aberdeenshire and Kincardineshire. It covered the same area as the current council area of Angus but with the addition of the city... 24638
Fort William, Inverness-shire Fort William is the largest town in the west Highlands. It lies at the head of Loch Linnhe in Lochaber, within the historical county of Inverness-shire. 2474
Sheshader, Lewis Sheshader is a crofting township on the Eye Peninsula, Isle of Lewis. 10448
Kyle of Lochalsh, Ross & Cromarty Kyle of Lochalsh, within the parish of Kintail, is a small town at the western end of the Kyle railway. Formerly it was the ferry terminal for the short crossing to Skye, but the new Skye Bridge has now replaced the... 6693
Mallaig, Inverness-shire Mallaig is a port in the Lochaber area, on the west coast of Scotland. It lies within the county of Inverness-shire. 10720
Upper Bayble, Lewis 18599
Islivig, Lewis Satellite image Yes 1981
Bragar, Lewis Satellite image 3811
Sanndaig, Doune Carloway Sanndaig was a small tack in Doune Carloway comprising crofts 1 and 2 Doune. This tack was about a quarter of a mile from the main village of Doune and was accessed by a track. 69053
Swordale, Point, Lewis Swordale is a crofting township, south west of the Eye Peninsula, Isle of Lewis. Satellite Image 24168
Achilty, Ross & Cromarty Achilty near Contin in Ross & Cromarty is the location of the old drovers' inn currently known as Achilty House. 65934
Davochmaluag, Ross & Cromarty 8173

Pages