You are here

Locations

Locations

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
Midlothian The historical county of Midlothian, also known as Edinburghshire, is a small county bordering the Firth of Forth, with the city of Edinburgh as its largest settlement. 24652
Kilmarnock, Ayrshire 12273
Kinresort, Lewis/Harris Kinresort (or Kinlochresort) is a remote and now deserted village at the head of Loch Resort, on the Lewis/North Harris border. It comprises the small settlements at Crola and Luachair and has long been occupied, as... Yes 2210
Kinlochroag, Lewis Kinlochroag is a small settlement at the head of Little Loch Roag. 1982
Garynahine, Lewis Garynahine lies at the junction of roads from Stornoway, Uig and the northwest coast of Lewis. Satellite Image 4031
Crola, Lewis Crola is a small deserted settlement consisting of three houses and a school (later used as a meeting house) at Kinresort, on the Lewis side looking across to Luachair on the Harris side. According to D Maciver, Place... Yes 2763
Little Bernera, Lewis From "Placenames of Lewis and Harris" by D Maciver F.E.I.S: Little Bernera was at the beginning of the Norse occupation called Kiallasaigh, the island of the cells or temples. There were two of them, Saint Donan and... Yes 801
Isle of Harris The Isle of Harris shares a land border with the Isle of Lewis lying to the north; together, they make up the largest land mass in the Outer Hebrides. The main settlement is Tarbert, which lies on a narrow isthmus which... Yes 1642
Tarbert, Harris The small town of Tarbert sits between East and West Loch Tarbert which almost separate North and South Harris into two islands. 8506
Plantation Road, Stornoway 24866
Broadford, Skye 24864
Wick, Caithness The Royal Burgh of Wick was founded in 1589 by Royal Charter. It developed slowly on the Wick River, on the eastern coast of Caithness. Herring fishing began from the town around 1760, and by 1795 there were 200 boats... 2795
Urgha, Harris Urgha is a small settlement on the south coast of North Harris. Satellite Image 8104
South America 9442
Drovinish, Lewis This now deserted village lies between Earshader and Scaliscro. At one time it was a tack and included Torranish and Earshader. It is now part of the Bernera Moor. 2118
Portmahomack, Ross & Cromarty Portmahomack's origins date back to the arrival here of St Colmac who established a priory in AD975. A church was built on the site of the priory in 1255. This was replaced in 1756 by what is now known as the Old Tarbat... 23811
Patagonia Patagonia extends across the southern tip of South America, in both Chile and Argentina. Besides the native and Spanish populations, from about 1865 onward the region was settled by Welsh, Scottish and other immigrants... 209
Chile Chile is a long narrow country between the Pacific Ocean and the Andes Mountains. Many islanders emigrated there to become miners and stockmen. 17042
Tierra del Fuego Tierra del Fuego is an archipelago at the southern tip of South America. In 1881, it was divided between Argentina and Chile. The archipelago consists of a main island and a group of smaller islands, separated from the... Yes 36638
Morsgail, Lewis Morsgail is a sporting estate of 12,500 acres. The old lodge house was burned down in the 1980s and was replaced by a modern building. It is located about two miles from the main road at Kinlochroag. 1988
Lerwick, Shetland Lerwick is the capital and principal port of Shetland. 11140
Ceann a' Mhuire, Lewis A remote location on the eastern shore of Loch Seaforth in the Pairc district, probably part of the Seaforth tack. In 1820, there are four households listed: Kenneth Macleod Angus Mackay John Macswain Donald Macleod -... 29283
Barraglom, Lewis From Placenames of Lewis and Harris by D Maciver F.E.I.S. Barragloum: borgar. gen. of borg, fort or hill; Glomma, Sc.,dark; ruins of an old fort near the pier here Although now part of Hacklete, Ballaglom has a separate... Yes 790
Newmarket, Lewis Newmarket is a village lying to the north of Stornoway. Benside is part of Newmarket, and croft numbers in Newmarket follow on from those in Benside. Crofts in Benside may sometimes be referred to as 'Newmarket'. For... 12637
Shetland The historical county of Shetland is located in the far north of Scotland, some 50 miles northeast of Orkney. The county includes 16 inhabited islands and many smaller uninhabited ones that together make up the... 11139
Lochganvich, Lewis Lochganvich is a fairly new village, settled around 1820 mostly by people from Uig. The area known as Deanston, just next to Lochganvich, was an agricultural experiment funded by Sir James Matheson to reclaim land from... 4821
Tong, Lewis 4556
Loch Roag, Lewis Loch Roag surrounds Bernera, extending from Carloway to Gallan Head in Uig. It comprises East Loch Roag, to the east of Bernera and West Loch Roag to the west. Within Loch Roag are numerous smaller islands: Berisay,... 36295
Totarol, Lewis Totarol was a small settlement to the south of Uig Lodge, on rough and marshy ground at the head of Tràigh Ùig. Prior to the construction of the lodge it shared a head-dyke with Erista to the north. The buildings were... 65107
Deanston, Lochganvich Deanston, now part of Lochganvich, was an area set up as an experimental 'farm' under Sir James Matheson. He employed James Smith from Deanston in Perthshire to oversee the experiment. Several families from Uig were in... 47262

Pages