You are here

Locations

Locations

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
Bracadale, Skye Bracadale is an area on the west coast of the Isle of Skye. 8864
Barvas, Lewis Satellite image Barvas is a large township on the west side of Lewis. 47724
Brue, Lewis Satellite image 1175
Tolsta Chaolais, Lewis Tolsta Chaolais is within the Carloway district, and within Comann Eachdraidh Chàrlabhaigh's area. The village is off the main road about two miles to the south of Doune Carloway and is one of the most picturesque in... Yes 1851
Borrowston, Lewis Borrowston is a crofting township, comprising about 15 crofts, on the west coast of Lewis, lying on the north shore of Loch Carloway and a half mile west of Carloway. The name Borrowston (Borghastan) is from the old... Yes 41286
Kirvick, Carloway The name Kirvick is probably from Old Norse "kirkja", meaning church, and "vik", meaning creek or bay. This may refer to the old St Michael's chapel which was situated on a hillock above the shore at the lower end of... Yes 15007
Doune Carloway, Lewis The village of Doune is named after its Iron Age broch - broch or fort being dùn in Gaelic. It is now thought that brochs were "status symbol" dwellings as much as they were defensive forts. It rises to 30 feet, and its... Yes 10017
Dalmore, Lewis The name Dalmore comes from the Old Norse "dal", meaning valley, along with the Gaelic "mòr", meaning large (there is a Dail Beag just along the coast). Dalmore is the smallest village within the district of Carloway.... Yes 47173
Swainbost, Lewis Satellite image 26598
Vancouver, British Columbia 2702
Eastern Townships, Quebec The Eastern Townships, also known as the St Francis River District, is an area of Eastern Quebec in what was once Lower Canada that particularly attracted large numbers of immigrants from Lewis and Harris. The Lewis... 18034
Pultneytown, Wick, Caithness Pultneytown is now a district of the town of Wick, in Caithness in the far north of mainland Scotland. Until 1902 however, it was a distinct town separate from the Royal Burgh of Wick across the river. Pultneytown was... 27762
Vuia Mhor, Lewis Vuia Mhor is an island between Uig and Great Bernera, east of Reef, covering an area of 84 hectares. The highest point is Mullach na Beinne (67m) which falls away to the sea at Creag na h-Iolaire (Eagle Cliff). Much of... Yes 1994
Vuia Bheag, Lewis Vuia Bheag is a small island south of Vuia Mhor. The are signs of habitation on the island and it has a fresh water loch. 24903
Plockton, Ross & Cromarty Plockton is a village in the Lochalsh area of Ross & Cromarty, close to the Isle of Skye. 21890
Valasay, Lewis From "Placenames of Lewis and Harris" by D Maciver F.E.I.S. Valasaigh : saigh is island sound ; mol, gen. malar, aspirated, mhalar, beach Valasay lies at the southern end of Tob Valasay. Although part of Tobson it has a... Yes 805
Earshader, Lewis Iarshader : now a township on the east side of the narrow channel. First used as Bernera summer sheiling; ey, gen. Eyjar-settr, island sheiling. From "Place-names of Lewis & Harris" by D Maciver, F.E.I.S. Earshader... Yes 795
Sierra Leone Sierra Leone was founded 1787 as a home for emancipated slaves. The country was a British colony in western Africa until 1961 and is today a republic with Freetown as its capital city.  28249
Jamaica Jamaica is the third-largest island of the Greater Antilles, situated south of Cuba in the Caribbean Sea. Kingston is its capital and largest city. 28248
Inverary, Argyllshire Inverary is a town at the head of Loch Fyne. 24117
Leicestershire 8107
Rogart, Sutherland Rogart is a small scenic village in Sutherland. 42426
Torranish, Lewis 2774
Gairloch, Ross & Cromarty Gairloch is a village on the shore of Loch Gairloch in the Wester Ross area of Ross & Cromarty. 4013
Applecross, Ross & Cromarty 7951
Muckhart, Clackmannanshire 13673
British Columbia, Canada 13929
Shawbost, Lewis Satellite image 4246
Rodel, Harris Rodel is a settlement situated at the southern tip of the Isle of Harris, between the Minch and the Sound of Harris. The 16th-century St Clement's Church, built by Alexander MacLeod (Alasdair Crotach), stands on the... Yes 9838
Knock, Point, Lewis Knock is a village in the Point area of the Isle of Lewis. 8454

Pages