You are here

Locations

Locations

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort ascending Id
Ardroil, Lewis Ardroil (Eadar Dha Fhadhail - 'between two fords') lies on the southwestern side of Uig Sands between the Forsa River and the Red River. There were once several villages in the area: Cappadale, Penny Donald and Balnicol... Yes 1940
Isle of Scarp, Harris Scarp is a a small island, without permanent habitation since 1970, situated to the west of Hushinish on Harris. The island, which once supported (albeit precariously) some 200 residents, is over 300 metres high, with... Yes 19411
Brenish, Lewis Brenish is a large village near the end of the Uig road - since the clearance of Mealista, it has been the last inhabited village in the district. Brenish features a substantial collection of fish-curing and drying... Yes 1952
Cliff, Lewis A small village on Camas na Clibhe, between high cliffs on both sides, and at the head of Loch Sgaillear. Valtos and the neighbouring village of Cliff were once one, with croft numbers running from 1 to 39 Valtos. Cliff... Yes 1970
Crowlista, Lewis Crowlista is located in Uig in the west of Lewis, on the north side of Camas Uig and the Traigh Mhor. It is an old settlement, with rocky ground in contrast to the machair around the other parts of the bay. It was the... Yes 1977
Enaclete, Lewis Enaclete is a village on the western shores of Little Loch Roag, comprising nine crofts. An abundance of small stone piers and landing stages on the shore indicate the importance of fishing and boat transport to and... Yes 1978
Islivig, Lewis Satellite image Yes 1981
Kneep, Lewis The village of Kneep is situated on the Valtos Peninsula in Uig, between Valtos and Reef. Crofts 1 to 15 are next to Valtos, and much fragmented (see figure below). The fifteen crofts comprised in the 1950s of over 180... Yes 1983
Reef, Lewis The township of Reef, situated on machair and rocky headland on the Valtos penisula in West Uig, was cleared of its inhabitants to make way for a sheep farm, under the ownership of Sir James Matheson. Eviction notices... Yes 1989
Timsgarry, Lewis Timsgarry is a village of eight crofts in the central part of West Uig, overlooking Uig Sands. It adjoins the old and now deserted township of Erista and the church and glebe lands at Baile na Cille. Today Timsgarry... Yes 1990
Valtos, Uig, Lewis Valtos (from the Norse vald hus, house of one in power) is a large and well-populated village on the Valtos peninsula. The main settlement was once on high ground overlooking Cliff bay, where there is archaeological... Yes 1993
Vuia Mhor, Lewis Vuia Mhor is an island between Uig and Great Bernera, east of Reef, covering an area of 84 hectares. The highest point is Mullach na Beinne (67m) which falls away to the sea at Creag na h-Iolaire (Eagle Cliff). Much of... Yes 1994
Strome, Lewis Strome ('stream') was a small settlement on the secluded Loch Strome - today difficult to access by land, but in the days when much travel was done by sea, not so far off the beaten track. The village was cleared c1835... Yes 2117
Seaforth Head, Lewis From the Norse Seaforth: sja-fjoror - sea firth This area shows signs of habitation and cultivation as early as the 16th Century. After taking possession of Lewis in 1610, the Mackenzies of Lewis made their first... Yes 21658
Kinresort, Lewis/Harris Kinresort is a remote and now deserted village at the head of Loch Resort, on the Lewis/North Harris border. It comprises the small settlements at Crola and Luachair and has long been occupied, as evidenced by the many... Yes 2210
Carloway District, Lewis The Carloway district, on the west side of Lewis, comprises the villages of Dalmore, Upper Carloway and Park, Garenin, Borrowston, Knock, Kirvick, Doune, and Tolsta Chaolais. Among the attractions in the area are the... Yes 2371
Vacsay, Uig, Lewis Vacsay is a small island in Loch Roag a few hundred metres off Reef Beach (Tràigh na Beirigh). It was once inhabited but is now used only for grazing. Ruined buildings are shown in the bay on the south side of the... Yes 24897
Isle of Cliatasay, Lewis The island of Cliatasay in Loch Roag to the north-east of Geshader village was not inhabited but was used for grazing and at one time, for burning kelp. The remains of a rough kelp kiln are visible below a high cliff in... Yes 24918
Leverburgh, Harris The village of Leverburgh lies at the south end of the Isle of Harris. The village was originally named Obbe and was renamed Leverburgh in December 1920. The soap tycoon Lord Leverhulme had previously bought the South... Yes 26902
Northton, Harris The village of Northton lies in the south of the Isle of Harris. Satellite Image Yes 27409
Erista, Uig, Lewis Erista was a village in Uig in the west of Lewis, between Uig Lodge and Baile na Cille manse, overlooking Uig Sands. Prior to the construction of the lodge, Erista shared a head-dyke with Totarol to the south. Erista... Yes 2762
Crola, Lewis Crola is a small deserted settlement consisting of three houses and a school (later used as a meeting house) at Kinresort, on the Lewis side looking across to Luachair on the Harris side. According to D Maciver in Place... Yes 2763
Pabbay Mor, Uig Pabbay Mor is an island located a few hundred metres off the shore from Valtos in Loch Roag. The name, from the Norse, means Priest's Island and there are numerous archaeological sites here including the settlement at... Yes 2764
Cappadale, Lewis Cappadale, situated near Uig Sands, was one of the three villages cleared in the late 1830s to make way for the farm at Ardroil. The inhabitants mostly went to Swainbost, and thereafter emigrated to Canada in 1851.... Yes 2766
Balnicol, Lewis Balnicol, situated near Uig Sands, was one of the three villages cleared in the late 1830s to make way for the farm at Ardroil. The area is now occupied by crofts 10 and 11 Ardroil. Satellite image Yes 2767
Baile na Cille, Lewis Baile na Cille (also known as Balnacille or Balnacil), the Place of the Sanctuary, is a low promontory at the north end of Uig Sands. The area is believed to have been a centre for worship for many centuries; certainly... Yes 2770
Torranish, Lewis Yes 2774
Luskentyre, Harris Luskentyre is a small settlement on the west coast of Harris, famous for its scenic beach. Satellite Image Yes 28792
Caverstay, Lewis The village of Caverstay is located on the south side of Loch Erisort, just across Tob Caverstay from the somewhat larger village of Garyvard. It consisted of just four crofts, though the neighbouring hamlet of Torostay... Yes 2970
Carnish, Lewis According to D Maciver in his Place-names of Lewis and Harris, the name Carnish is from the Norse kvern-nes, meaning 'promontory of the querns' (ie hand mills). There is evidence of prehistoric habitation on the... Yes 3217

Pages