You are here

Locations

Locations

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
Chicago Chicago is the largest city in the mid-west with a population of over 9 million. It is situated on the south-west shore of Lake Michigan in the state of Illinois. It is sometimes called the Windy City. 45090
Valtos, Uig, Lewis Valtos (from the Norse vald hus, house of one in power) is a large and well-populated village on the Valtos peninsula. The main settlement was once on high ground overlooking Cliff bay, where there is archaeological... Yes 1993
Geshader, Lewis Geshader is a village of 11 crofts located on a peninsula into Loch Roag. The croft numbers progress from the road end up the hill and towards the sea, but the new road follows Loch Geshader to the sea and dog-legs back... Yes 674
Enaclete, Lewis Enaclete is a village on the western shores of Little Loch Roag, comprising nine crofts. An abundance of small stone piers and landing stages on the shore indicate the importance of fishing and boat transport to and... Yes 1978
Carishader, Lewis Carishader was lotted in 1849 into 12 regular crofts laid out in a line straddling the main road through Uig, between the hill and the shore of Loch Roag, looking over to Reef and Vuia. Two further crofts were added... Yes 1336
Ungeshader, Lewis Ungeshader is a small village of just four crofts (each with one or two houses, now mostly uninhabited) on the east side of Little Loch Roag, very near the narrows. It has several landing stages on the shore including a... Yes 1030
Mangersta, Lewis The original settlement of Mangersta (thought by some to derive from the Norse for 'Magnus's steading') was cleared, resettled and then cleared again prior to 1874. Crofts relating to that earlier period are labelled '... Yes 3265
Parish of Stornoway, Lewis The parish of Stornoway in the historical county of Ross & Cromarty included not only Stornoway town and surrounding villages, but also the peninsula of Point and settlements along the east coast of Lewis extending ... 204
Lemreway, Lewis From the Place Names of Lewis and Harris, D Maciver: Leumra: This is the name used long ago by the old people. Some say to-day Leumrava. The terminal rà here has the same meaning as the second terminal và, a corner of... Yes 1017
Orinsay, Lewis The name Orinsay derives from the Norse for 'ebb-flow island'. When it was first settled is unknown, but the situation is sheltered, with both arable land and good fishing to hand. In 1810, a Mary Maciver (to whom the... Yes 377
Marvig, Lewis Marvig is a village of 24 crofts on Loch Marvig, just south of the mouth of Loch Erisort. Marvig, similar to the other villages in Park, was evidently at one time wooded, as the roots of trees are to be found in nearly... Yes 375
Habost, Pairc, Lewis Habost is said to be one of the oldest settlements in Park. The name is Scandinavian, the suffix "Bost" meaning a homestead or farm in Norwegian. Under the Highland clan system Habost was a tack and the various tacksmen... Yes 378
Steimreway, Lewis Steimreway is a substantial village on Loch Shell, long deserted, on the east side of Tob Stiomrabhaigh. It benefits from a beautiful setting and good inshore fishing. The nearby villages of Lemreway and Orinsay were... Yes 2427
Kershader, Lewis Kershader is a village of 12 crofts on the south shore of Loch Erisort, opposite the village of Laxay in Kinloch. The name of the village is of Norse origin, possibly referring to 'shieling of the marsh or thicket'.... Yes 1426
Garyvard, Lewis "A small village of straw thatched huts, built partly of stone and in pretty good repair, to which there is attached a considerable portion of arable land, but the inhabitants derive their chief support from fishing,... Yes 379
Caverstay, Lewis The village of Caverstay is located on the south side of Loch Erisort, just across Tob Caverstay from the somewhat larger village of Garyvard. It consisted of just four crofts, though the neighbouring hamlet of Torostay... Yes 2970
Belgium 20288
Grangemouth, Stirlingshire 9423
Stirlingshire 24659
Swordale, Keose Glebe, Lewis According to D Maciver, Place Names of Lewis and Harris, the name is probably Norse for 'sea-dale'. The whole peninsula to the east of Keose, although now empty, seems to have been subject to human activity for many... 6080
Shulishader, Lewis Shulishader (often known as Shader) is a small village with a population of around 120 people in the Point area of the Isle of Lewis. Located on the north-western side of the Eye Peninsula, it overlooks Broad Bay. 24182
Houston, Texas 11053
United States of America 1193
Flannan Isles A cluster of islands that lie 21 Miles North West of Gallan Head in Uig, the principal one being "Eilean Mor". In his book, " A Description of the Western Islands of Scotland", Martin Martin wrote: "..it has the ruins... Yes 18592
Pabbay Mor, Uig Pabbay Mor is an island located a few hundred metres off the shore from Valtos in Loch Roag. The name, from the Norse, means Priest's Island and there are numerous archaeological sites here including the settlement at... Yes 2764
Cliff, Lewis A small village on Camas na Clibhe, between high cliffs on both sides, and at the head of Loch Sgaillear. Valtos and the neighbouring village of Cliff were once one, with croft numbers running from 1 to 39 Valtos. Cliff... Yes 1970
Balivanich, Benbecula 13581
Isle of Benbecula The island of Benbecula lies between North and South Uist. It was connected to North Uist in 1960 via the North Ford Causeway, which also connects with Grimsay. In 1982 the South Ford Causeway connected Benbecula to... 23169
Creagorry, Benbecula 13653
Glasgow Glasgow, located on the River Clyde, is the largest and most populated city in Scotland. It was the home of heavy industry and shipbuilding, now largely gone. It is an important financial centre and has many world class... 208

Pages