You are here

Locations

Locations

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort ascending Id
Doune Carloway, Lewis The village of Doune is named after its Iron Age broch - broch or fort being dùn in Gaelic. It is now thought that brochs were "status symbol" dwellings as much as they were defensive forts. It rises to 30 feet, and its... Yes 10017
Lemreway, Lewis From the Place Names of Lewis and Harris, D Maciver: Leumra: This is the name used long ago by the old people. Some say to-day Leumrava. The terminal rà here has the same meaning as the second terminal và, a corner of... Yes 1017
Shieldenish, Lewis From Old Norse 'sild' herring and 'nis' point; the point is the prominent peninsula in Shieldinish which also incorporates a well-defined 'caraidh' (fish trap). Shieldinish is a small settlement which lies close to the... Yes 10177
Ungeshader, Lewis Ungeshader is a small village of just four crofts (each with one or two houses, now mostly uninhabited) on the east side of Little Loch Roag, very near the narrows. It has several landing stages on the shore including a... Yes 1030
Sound of Harris The Sound of Harris separates Harris in the North from Berneray and North Uist in the South. It is a shallow, rocky channel and the Caledonian MacBrayne car ferry that travels across it several times a day must take a... Yes 105523
Glenside, Gravir Glenside was formed as a new settlement in 1924 to relieve the pressure of over-population in Gravir. Yes 106500
Burma Burma  is a sovereign state in Southeast Asia bordered by Bangladesh, India, China, Laos and Thailand. Burma's capital city is Naypyidaw and its largest city is Yangon.The British conquered Burma after three Anglo-... Yes 106539
Isle of Eriskay The Isle of Eriskay lies between South Uist and Barra in the Outer Hebrides. It is closer to South Uist and is connected to it by a causeway that was opened in 2002. Eriskay was one of the locations where Bonnie Prince... Yes 10775
Castlebay, Barra Castlebay is the main settlement on the island of Barra and its ferry terminal is part of the triangular route together with Oban and Lochboisdale.  Kisimul Castle lies within the bay, and a small ferry takes foot... Yes 109617
Northbay, Barra Yes 109621
Ardmhor, Barra Ardmhor is the location of the ferry terminal for the Sound of Barra crossing, linking Barra with the island of Eriskay. Yes 109635
Sound of Barra Yes 109651
Na Stacan Dubha, Sound of Barra On top of the largest of the islands, Eilean Leathan, are the ruins of a fortified tower, Caisteal an Reubadair. Yes 109653
Acairseid, Eriskay Acairseid is the name of the settlement around the anchorage An Acarsaid Mhòr. Yes 109654
Tràigh Mhòr, Barra The large expanse of sand and cockle shells at Tràigh Mhòr made it the site of choice for Barra's new airfield in the 1930s.  Yes 109666
Isle of Vatersay Yes 109669
Carishader, Lewis Carishader was lotted in 1849 into 12 regular crofts laid out in a line straddling the main road through Uig, between the hill and the shore of Loch Roag, looking over to Reef and Vuia. Two further crofts were added... Yes 1336
Uigen, Lewis Uigen is a small village on the Valtos Peninsula. It was previously considered an extension of Kneep and the crofts are numbered accordingly, beginning with 16. The large house on Aird Mheithnis was the manse for Uigen... Yes 1360
Kershader, Lewis Kershader is a village of 12 crofts on the south shore of Loch Erisort, opposite the village of Laxay in Kinloch. The name of the village is of Norse origin, possibly referring to 'shieling of the marsh or thicket'.... Yes 1426
Isle of Lewis Lewis is the largest and most populous of the islands in the Outer Hebrides. It is conjoined with Harris in the south though the two are traditionally considered separate islands, and separated from the mainland of... Yes 1447
Kirvick, Carloway The name Kirvick is probably from Old Norse "kirkja", meaning church, and "vik", meaning creek or bay. This may refer to the old St Michael's chapel which was situated on a hillock above the shore at the lower end of... Yes 15007
Isle of Harris The Isle of Harris shares a land border with the Isle of Lewis lying to the north; together, they make up the largest land mass in the Outer Hebrides. The main settlement is Tarbert, which lies on a narrow isthmus which... Yes 1642
Luachair, Harris Luachair is Gaelic for 'rushes'. This small settlement on the Harris side of Loch Resort was inhabited for many centuries. In 1900 there were three houses and a school (which also served the families in nearby Crola)... Yes 1721
Gisla, Lewis Prior to about 1850, Gisla was a township of 5 crofts; it subsequently became a small farm; the 1st tenant was Angus Maclean. There is a hydro-electric scheme on the loch above the village. Satellite image Yes 1748
Eishken Estate, Lewis Eishken Estate is located in the Pairc area of Lewis. The crofting settlement after which it is named was cleared in 1833 to make way for sheep. It forms part of the former 70,000-acre Park Estate, owned in 1876 by Sir... Yes 18114
Stornoway Town, Lewis The area around Stornoway has produced evidence of occupation during the Neolithic and Bronze Ages and probably supported a Viking settlement, based around the excellent natural harbour. In mediaeval times there was a... Yes 18460
Tolsta Chaolais, Lewis Tolsta Chaolais is within the Carloway district, and within Comann Eachdraidh Chàrlabhaigh's area. The village is off the main road about two miles to the south of Doune Carloway and is one of the most picturesque in... Yes 1851
Flannan Isles A cluster of islands that lie 21 Miles North West of Gallan Head in Uig, the principal one being "Eilean Mor". In his book, " A Description of the Western Islands of Scotland", Martin Martin wrote: "..it has the ruins... Yes 18592
Eilean Mor, Flannan Isles Eilean Mor is the largest of the Flannan Isles, and the one on which the lighthouse is situated. Note: There are several other similarly named islands within the Outer Hebrides. Yes 18611
Aird Uig, Lewis Aird Uig is a small village of 10 crofts (counting 3a and 3b as two) situated at the end of the road to Gallan Head, on the western side of the Amhuinn Gil na h-Airde. The crofts fan out from the riverside and some were... Yes 1937

Pages