You are here

Locations

Locations

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
Stornoway Town, Lewis The area around Stornoway has produced evidence of occupation during the Neolithic and Bronze Ages and probably supported a Viking settlement, based around the excellent natural harbour. In mediaeval times there was a... Yes 18460
Cromore, Lewis The name of Cromore is thought to be derived from the Gaelic crò mòr meaning big pen or fold but the word Kró in Norse means corner or inlet. Cromore is situated on the peninsula between Loch Cromore and Loch Erisort.... Yes 373
Isle of Lewis Lewis is the largest and most populous of the islands in the Outer Hebrides. It is conjoined with Harris in the south though the two are traditionally considered separate islands, and separated from the mainland of... Yes 1447
Leurbost, Lewis Leurbost, together with Ranish, is among the oldest villages in North Lochs. Under the Mackenzies it was let as a tack with evidence within the Seaforth papers of the tacksmen from as early as 1718. The original village... 883
Pairc, Lewis The Pairc or Park peninsula in the Parish of Lochs is situated in the southeast corner of the island of Lewis, adjacent to Harris. Geographically it is almost cut off from the rest of Lewis by two long arms of the sea, ... 2521
Crobeg, Lewis Crobeg (meaning, in a Gaelic-Norse hybrid, "little fold for sheep") is a small village on the shores of Loch Erisort, next to Cromore. Across a shallow channel is Eilean Chaluim Chille. Crobeg was the centre of a tack,... 374
Outer Hebrides The Outer Hebrides or Western Isles (officially known by their Gaelic name, Na h-Eileanan Siar) comprise an island chain off the west coast of Scotland. They form part of the Hebrides, separated from the Scottish... 38053
North Lochs, Lewis The North Lochs area comprises the villages of Lochganvich, Achmore, Leurbost, Crossbost, Ranish and Grimshader. 1451
Gravir, Lewis Gravir is the largest village in the Pairc area of South Lochs, once supporting a population of 468 (in 1911) although in 2005 the population was only 76. Gravir (Grabhair): Norse for "pits, graves" (according to James... Yes 357
Calbost, Lewis The village of Calbost in Pairc, Isle of Lewis, comprises 14 crofts. Local tradition maintains that some of the Calbost settlers, such as Norman Mackenzie, Tormod Buidhe (1780-1864), came to Calbost towards the end of... Yes 369
Ross & Cromarty The Scottish county of Ross & Cromarty was created in 1890 by the merger of the former counties of Ross-shire and Cromartyshire, the latter consisting of many separate portions scattered across Ross-shire. Ross... 23812
Inverness-shire 23531
Canada Many thousands of emigrants from the Western Isles and other parts of the Highlands settled in various parts of Canada. Among the more significant emigration stories are: The Red River Settlement (1815) The Eastern... 949
Uigen, Lewis Uigen is a small village on the Valtos Peninsula. It was previously considered an extension of Kneep and the crofts are numbered accordingly, beginning with 16. The large house on Aird Mheithnis was the manse for Uigen... Yes 1360
Crowlista, Lewis Crowlista is located in Uig in the west of Lewis, on the north side of Camas Uig and the Traigh Mhor. It is an old settlement, with rocky ground in contrast to the machair around the other parts of the bay. It was the... Yes 1977
Brenish, Lewis Brenish is a large village near the end of the Uig road - since the clearance of Mealista, it has been the last inhabited village in the district. Brenish features a substantial collection of fish-curing and drying... Yes 1952
Kildonan, Sutherland Kildonan is a strath and also a parish in the county of Sutherland. It became notorious because of the clearances that took place there in the early 19th century under Patrick Sellar, and it gave its name to a... 40785
Scotland 12682
Great Britain 'Great Britain' is a geographical term and corresponds to the United Kingdom except for Northern Ireland (Ulster). 103754
Red River Settlement, Manitoba The Red River Settlement was founded in 1812 at the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers in Manitoba by Thomas Douglas, 5th Earl of Selkirk on a large tract of land granted by the Hudson's Bay Company, in which... 23616
Parish of Uig, Lewis The parish of Uig in the historical county of Ross and Cromarty covered a large area in the west of the Isle of Lewis. It extended from the boundary with Harris in the south to Carloway in the north. Historical... 203
Aird Uig, Lewis Aird Uig is a small village of 10 crofts (counting 3a and 3b as two) situated at the end of the road to Gallan Head, on the western side of the Amhuinn Gil na h-Airde. The crofts fan out from the riverside and some were... Yes 1937
Marybank, Lewis Marybank is a settlement on the western outskirts of Stornoway. Historically, it was not part of Stornoway Town.  2179
Keose, Lewis Keose: From the Norse, Kios, a township; a round hollow edging the sea It is a crofting township which lies on the north shore of Loch Erisort, opposite Garyvard. The whole peninsula to the east of Keose, although now... Yes 533
Sutherland 3878
British mainland (no further information) This record is used as a link to records of people who are known to have moved between the Outer Hebrides and the mainland, where we do not have any further details about their place of residence on the mainland. 1493
Minnesota, USA Minnesota, and particularly Duluth, became the centre of a large colony of Lewis emigrants, beginning with William L Maclennan from Kinresort, Uig, in the late 1860s. 18004
Manitoba, Canada The Province of Manitoba joined the Confederation of Canada in 1870, with a population at the time of 25,000. Settlement by emigrants had begun at Red River in 1812 with the first Selkirk settlers from Sutherland and... 17595
Winnipeg, Manitoba 23615
Reef, Lewis The township of Reef, situated on machair and rocky headland on the Valtos penisula in West Uig, was cleared of its inhabitants to make way for a sheep farm, under the ownership of Sir James Matheson. Eviction notices... Yes 1989

Pages