You are here

Historical/ Archaeological Sites

Historical/ Archaeological Sites

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort ascending Id
Teampall na Trianaid, Carinish Teampall na Trianaid is situated in the village of Carinish, a short distance from the main road. The Books of Clan Ranald state that Teampall na Trianaid was founded by Bethag, daughter of Somerled, Lord of the Isles... Yes 108618
Cnoc na Croise Mor, Carinish The hillock of the big cross, Cnoc na Croise Mòr, lies to the east of Teampall na Trianaid. As suggested by the name, it is said to have been surmounted by a cross, which may have marked the boundary of the sanctuary... Yes 109040
Teampall Clann a' Phiocair, Carinish The MacVicar chapel is connected to Teampall na Trianaid by a short passageway. Donald MacVicar, Am Piocair Mòr, who lived in the 16th century, the date from which the chapel possibly dates, was progenitor of the North... Yes 109130
Cille Bharra, Eoligarry Cille Bharra, St Barr's Chapel, was possibly founded in the 7th century, and named like the island after St Barr. The north chapel has been restored and contains three 16th century grave slabs.  Yes 109629
Dun Scurrival, Eoligarry This galleried dun, Dùn Sgùrabhal, was built on top of a hill with good views in all directions. Although now collapsed, it is still possible to determine some of its structure. Yes 109649
Barra and Vatersay War Memorial Yes 109670
Cup marked rock, Carinish This rock, marked with a pair of cup-marks, is close to Teampall na Trianaid in Carinish. The site is included on the Canmore database. Yes 110414
Berneray War Memorial The Roll of Honour on the war memorial at the entrance to Church Road commemorates the men from Berneray who were casualties of the First and Second World Wars. Yes 111701
North Uist War Memorial Yes 111708
Lobster Pond at Loch Risay This Lobster pond was built in the 1860s by Murdo Morrison, Croir, and is two miles north of the village of Kirkibost on the east side of Loch Risay. Its Gaelic name is Tob Blar Meadha. The dyke is about 75 yards from... Yes 11595
Winter Bothans in Bosta A group of 3 ruins above Bearn a Chruith. These were dwellings until 1878 when the people left Bostadh due to the lack of peat.They are in better repair than most of the ruins in Bostadh because the Kirkibost fishermen... Yes 15971
Bernera Bridge Completed in 1953, the Bernera Bridge links the island of Bernera to mainland Lewis. It consists of three spans, each of 108ft, formed of three parallel beams of pre-stressed concrete, and covered by an in-situ concrete... Yes 1689
Gearraidh Druim a Charran Bheag Gearraidh Druim a Charran Bheag; the sheiling used by Catherine Smith "Catriona Iain ic Chaluim", 4 Earshader. This was the most southerly of the Earshader sheilings. Yes 17689
Gearraidh Druim a Charran Mhor Gearraidh Druim a Charran Mhor; the sheiling used by "muinntir Iain Mhoireach" of 1 Earshader. Situated close to the Earshader - Bernera moor boundary; the walls have collapsed and only the outline can be seen. See... Yes 17698
Airigh Cleit Iain Murdo Mackay, "Murchadh Chaluim Bhain", 2 Earshader had his sheiling at Cleit Iain, at the centre of the cluster of Earshader sheilings. Just to the north-east of this sheiling is a plain bit of ground called "Beallach... Yes 17699
Gearraidh Druim na h-Uamha Gearraidh Druim na h-Uamha; the sheiling used by Donald Smith, "Domhnall Iain Gobha" of 3 Earshader, built on a rocky ridge just beside the boundary fence between the Earshader and the Bernera moor. Only the outline of... Yes 17705
Gearraidh Cleite Ghabhaidh Gearraidh Cleite Ghabhaidh; standing on the south-east shore of Loch na Beist, this sheiling was used by Murdo Smith, the "Tuathanach", 1 Earshader. Yes 17707
Airigh Padruig Iain Ghiollais At the base of Teahaval, near Loch Ruadh, on the Bernera moor is the (relatively) well-preserved sheiling of the Gillies family at 6 Kirkibost Yes 17746
Valtos Old Cemetery The inscribed headstones in the old Valtos cemetery date from the late 19th century, but the walled, rectangular ground is on the site of a much older, circular, unwalled burial ground and a chapel, which is said to lie... Yes 21782
Pairc Land Struggle Cairn The Pairc cairn, built in 1994, is dedicated to the memory of the people of Lochs who laid claim to the dispossessed land of their forebears and challenged the authority of the State to spotlight the poverty and... Yes 21866
Ruin of house at 38 Gravir This house is on croft 38 Gravir; it is not known who lived in it. Yes 22247
Barn at 38 Gravir This building was a barn at 38 Gravir; it is now a ruin. Yes 22248
Enclosure at 38 Gravir This is a enclosure at 38 Gravir that was used for working with sheep. Yes 22250
Pairc War Memorial History of the Pairc War Memorial The first memorial was a cairn of local stone, which was situated on the opposite side of the road from where the memorial now stands. The Cairn was thought to have been built in 1922... Yes 24418
Breaclete Norse Mill The site of this horizontal mill has been used for centuries - though "Norse" refers to the technology rather than the builders of the present mill. Earlier mill dams can be seen at the loch above the mill when the... Yes 27882
Gaelic School, Laxay Records indicate that there was a Gaelic School, on or near croft 15 Laxay which opened in 1825. The teacher was Neil Matheson and in 1842, the teacher was Donald Macfarlane. The population of Laxay in 1825 was 158... Yes 28627
Established Church of Scotland, Swordale Little remains of the ruins of what is believed to be the first place of worship in the Parish of Lochs following its creation or re-creation in 1722. The few remaining stones at Swordale, by the shore of Loch Luerbost... Yes 29202
House 1 croft 3 Geshader Taigh Fhearcair is located on the border of crofts 3 and 4 in Geshader. It shares a wall with the original house on croft 4. Yes 29208
House 2 croft 3 Geshader This is the second house built on croft 3, the house of Kirsty Matheson. All that remains of the house is one paving stone, which is covered by grass. Yes 29210
House 1 croft 4 Geshader (original house) This is the original house built on croft 4 by Angus Og. It was built on the border between croft 3 and 4 and shares a wall with Taigh Fhearcair on croft 3. Yes 29212

Pages