You are here

BUDHANAIS, LEWIS - TOWNSHIP (Pre Clearance - 1266 AD to 1860 AD), SHEEP DIP (Undated)

BUDHANAIS, LEWIS - TOWNSHIP (Pre Clearance - 1266 AD to 1860 AD), SHEEP DIP (Undated)

Summary:

TOWNSHIP (Pre Clearance - 1266 AD to 1860 AD)
SHEEP DIP (Undated)
Centred on NB 332 098, pre-Clearance township on 1st ed. OS map 1855, ruinous buildings on the ground

Location:

NB 332 098

Full description:

NB30NW 8 centred on 332 098

A township comprising ten unroofed buildings, all of which are annotated as Ruins and two are L-shaped, six enclosures and the fragmentary remains of a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, Island of Lewis 1855, sheet 42). Eight unroofed buildings, a series of enclosures annotated as a Sheep Dip and a field are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1972).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 2 July 1997

Cleared in the early 19th C. to make way for sheep, by the Mackenzies.

Acknowledgement:

Information provided by Western Isles Council Sites & Monuments Record, January 2006.

 

Title: BUDHANAIS, LEWIS - TOWNSHIP (Pre Clearance - 1266 AD to 1860 AD), SHEEP DIP (Undated)
Record Type: Historical/ Archaeological Sites
Type: Township
Period: Crofting (1850-1950 AD)
SMR Record ID: MWE133984
Grid Ref Northing: 909800
Grid Ref Easting: 133200
Record Maintained By: CEP
Subject Id: 31747