You are here

Crofts and Residences

Crofts and Residences

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
Am Fasgadh, Keose This house was originally the doctor's residence and was bought by the Rev Angus Macmillan, 23 Lemreway for use as a holiday home in the 1940s. The house has seen a few changes of owners since that time. 13811
13 Habost, Lochs 13 Habost was the site of the tack-house, when the area was a tack or farm. The last tacksman was Duncan Maclennan (Donnachadh Mac Dhomnuill ic Raoill) who contined to live on 13 after the farm (comprising crofts 9, 10... 11400
5 Kirkibost No.5 Kirkibost is located between Nos. 4 and 6, the moor and East Loch Roag. Neil Maclennan was the first tenant after resettlement. It is on the this croft that a (very) small loch was found to contain diatomite, but... 1390
7 Geshader Yes 2556
7 Marvig The first tenant of this croft was Angus Morrison (1811-). It is not known where he originated from. The Morrisons eventually moved to 44 Gravir and Allan Macleod, 9 Marvig took over the croft until they moved to... Yes 2336
11 Gravir The first tenant of this croft was Murdo Macaulay (1781) and was passed down through the family until it was bought by Murdo Matheson who was Headteacher at Gravir, son of Donald, 27 Gravir. 900
7 Lemreway Kenneth Macdonald, the original tenant of this croft had been evicted from Orinsay in 1843. His son Murdo later inherited the croft. 12029
12 Marvig The first tenant of this croft was Kenneth Mackenzie (1819), 4 Habost. The croft was passed down through the family. 9523
26 Balallan Hector Mackenzie (1807-1879) and his family lived on this croft before moving to 5 Shieldinish in 1886. Murdo Smith (1859-1908) from 13 Balallan took over the tenancy of the croft and when Murdo died, aged 48 years, his... 12027
8 Balallan Roderick Macleod from Balallan was the tenant of this croft until he moved to 39 Balallan in the 1850s. The next tenant was Donald Macdonald who had lived in Orinsay. His son Kenneth tenanted the croft until they moved... 12030
4 Habost, Lochs Donald Mackenzie from Buthinish, Park was the first tenant of 4 Habost. John Macdonald, 1810- came from Kershader to the croft in the 1860s. 11390
18 Marvig The first tenant of this croft was Duncan Maclennan who had been evicted from Southern Pairc. The croft was passed down through the family until it was taken over by a nephew of Donald Maclennan. 1955
14 Laxay The first known tenant of 14 Laxay was Murdo Smith. It is not known where Murdo or his wife Mary came from. His son John (1806-1868) lived on the croft until the family moved to Melbost in c1850. 9017
1 Habost, Lochs Until January 2007 there was a prominent building on 1 Habost, the ruin of Jimmy Tod's house, which incorporated a slaughter house, shop, weaving shed with four looms, and a garage for his bus. Originally the house was... Yes 1299
16 Lemreway The first tenant of this croft was John Carmichael, 14 Gravir. There were six families on this croft at the end of the First World War, two of them not long married, Angus Nicolson and Donald Nicolson, who later land-... 2634
9 Orinsay The first settler on 9 Orinsay after the village was recrofted in 1922 was Angus Nicolson (Aonghas an Nogaich). 22712
4 Lemreway The first tenant of this croft was Angus Macmillan whose family were cleared from Steimreway in 1857. There were three household sharing the croft at the end of the First World War and two other sons of the croft... 47281
2 Orinsay The first settler on 2 Orinsay after the village was recrofted in 1922 was Angus (Mate) Macmillan. 25780
7 Orinsay The first settler on 7 Orinsay after the village was recrofted in 1922 was Donald Nicolson (Domhnall Ruadh.) 2445
Manor Farm, Stornoway Manor Farm, also known as Home Farm, originally occupied a large area of land to the north and east of Stornoway Town. This land extended from the location of the current Stornoway War Memorial in the northwest to... 12328
5 Lundale When Lundale was lotted in 1892 Donald Macdonald "An Geinneach" from 11 Tobson moved to No 5. After he was widowed his daughter Annie and her husband, Donald Macleod moved in with him; Macleods have remained on this... 1624
11 Tobson There is no house on No 11 Tobson now. 3738
Benview, Breaclete Ben View was built on ground given to Malcolm Macleod by the townsip of Breaclete in the 1950s. 4482
Kyles House Transcript of part of a letter to the landowner, James A.S. Mackenzie, from his solicitor, Thomas Mansfield. The house referred to is Tigh a Chaolais and was occupied by John Macdonald after he left Little Bernera until... Yes 18960
Knock House Knock House, a combined church and school, was built in the 1840-50s. it belonged to the Free Church and was associated with the Free Church in Miavaig. When the school was built in Breaclete in the 1870s, Knock House... 22639
1 Croir The first tenant on No 1 Croir, after lotting in 1921, was Angus Macdonald, formerly 17 Tobson. After Angus died the family moved to Stornoway and the tenancy was bought by John Maciver "Iain Thormoid Bhig". The house... 4454
4 Breaclete In 1851 No 4 Breaclete was occupied by Peter Macdonald but in 1880, when Hacklete was re-settled, the family swapped crofts with Mary Mackenzie, a widow with family, who had been allocated No 8 Hacklete. After that... 4473
1 Crulivig No.1 has the curious distinction of never being inherited directly by the family. The first recorded tenant, in 1851, was Neil Buchanan who lived there with his wife, Effie nee Smith, and family. Until the last decade,... 1156
23 Kirkibost No.23 Kirkibost is situated between the moor road in the north, Loch Ballaglom in the south, and Nos. 22 and 24. The 1st tenant after resettlement was John MacNaughton from Breaclete. He exchanged 9 Breaclete with... Yes 1410
9 Breaclete John Macnaughton was the tenant on No 9 Breaclete in 1851. When Kirkibost was re-settled in 1878 he swapped crofts with an elderly man, Donald Smith from Bosta, who had been allocated No 23. After Donald died the... 4477

Pages