You are here

Crofts and Residences

Crofts and Residences

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
12 Laxay The first known tenant of 12 Laxay was John Maciver (1809-1880) who may have come from Loch Roag, Uig. His son John inherited the croft. 6732
1 Scadabay 75815
17 Ruisgarry (Brusda) The croft at 17 Ruisgarry was created in the 1850 relotting of Ruisgarry by the Harris Estate. It is one of five crofts in an area known as Brùsda.  The first tenants of the new croft were Angus Morrison and his wife... Yes 67372
46 Balallan Murdo Mackenzie (1771), originally from Orinsay moved from Shieldinish to Balallan. His son George (1794-1869) inherited the croft, followed by George's son Roderick. 21540
'House 7' Quay This was the home of fisherman Alexander MacLeod and his family from about 1855. Alexander drowned in a storm in 1865. His widow Flora continued to live here with their young family. The house was later passed to her... 74250
5 Ruisgarry (Beasdaire) 5 Ruisgarry was created in the 1850 relotting of Ruisgarry by the Harris Estate. It lies within the area Beasdaire, a name which is believed to derive from Old Norse, either bolstadhar or bolstaor meaning a place where... 67359
'House 13' Quay Norman MacDonald, his wife Rachel and two youngest children, having been cleared from their croft in old Borve in 1854, moved to Quay, living as cottars. Daughter Christina and her husband Alexander MacKillop, a... 74256
Borve Farm, Berneray In 1854 the area of Borve on Berneray was cleared of its 22 crofters by the factor in order to create a new farm. Borve Farm's first owner was William MacNeil who made several changes, including the rerouting of the... 73842
2 Urgha 75016
'House 5' Rubha Mor This was the home of fisherman Norman Paterson and his family from 1853 until the 1880s, when they moved to live on his brother's croft instead. By 1889 fisherman Donald John MacLennan was living here with his family,... 73986
14 Borve, Berneray 14 Borve was created in 1900, when the Congested Districts Board for Scotland persuaded the South Harris Estate to break up Borve Farm and re-allocate the land as crofts.  Croft 14 was allotted to Allan Paterson.... 67392
12 Ruisgarry (Quay) In 1850 the croft at 12 Ruisgarry was allotted to John MacLean. In 1864 he relocated, and it was combined with the neighbouring croft, 11 Ruisgarry. During the 1980s the combined croft 11/12 was split and once again 12... 67367
18 Ruisgarry (Brusda) The croft at 18 Ruisgarry was created in the 1850 relotting of Ruisgarry by the Harris Estate. It is one of five crofts in an area known as Brùsda.  The first tenant of the new croft was Evander Shaw. He emigrated in... Yes 67373
10 Ruisgarry (Gunhill) The croft at 10 Ruisgarry was created in the 1850 relotting of Ruisgarry by the Harris Estate. The area it lies within is known as Gunhill (Gaelic: Cnoc Gunna). Its name may be as it sounds, 'knoll of the gun', but an... 67365
'House 11' Quay Fisherman James MacLeod moved from his parents' home at 'house 7' to live here with his wife Margaret MacDonald, who he married in 1879. Following his death in 1926, the house passed to son Duncan, whose siblings... Yes 74254
'House 1' Ludag This was a cottar's house. Fisherman and shoemaker Alexander MacDonald lived there with his wife Mary. It was passed to his brother William following Alexander's death in 1862, and subsequently to William's son... 73729
East Quay, 'house 8' This was the home of fisherman Donald MacLeod, who had previously lived with his parents at 'house 7', following his marriage in 1877. Donald was involved in the struggle for land rights, and was later imprisoned for... Yes 74251
6 Keose Donald Smith (1811-1854) moved from Luerbost in 1840 with his wife Catherine Macleod, 4 Kershader and settled at 6 Keose. Both Donald and Catherine are buried on Eilean Chalum Chille. 7588
5 Newmarket (Benside) 67685
'House 1' Quay Sometime around 1857 Angus MacLean moved from the family croft at 11 Ruisgarry (Quay) to live here with his new wife and growing family, earning a living as a fisherman and farm labourer. Following his death in 1921,... 74243
11 Ruisgarry (Quay) In 1850 11 Ruisgarry at Quay was allotted to Alexander MacLean. In 1864 he lost the croft, which was subsequently combined with the neighbouring croft, 12 Ruisgarry. During the 1980s the combined croft 11/12 Ruisgarry... 67366
3 Ruisgarry (Gearraidh na Creadha) 3 Ruisgarry was created in the 1850 relotting of Ruisgarry by the Harris Estate. The area it lies within is known as Gearraidh na Crèadha, meaning 'pastureland of the clay'. The croft was lotted to Malcolm Munro in 1850... 67357
Geo Dhubh, Rubha Mor This was the home of fisherman Donald MacKinnon and his wife Ann during the 1870s, and living with them was Ann's nephew Angus Paterson who inherited the property, living there with his wife and family. He kept a shop,... Yes 74221
20/21 Borve, Berneray 20/21 Borve was created in 1900, when the Congested Districts Board for Scotland persuaded the South Harris Estate to break up Borve Farm and re-allocate the land as crofts.  20/21 Borve was allotted to merchant Angus... Yes 67398
14 Newmarket (Benside) 67690
'House 17' Backhill This house was built in the 1850s. Finlay MacCuish and his family stayed here, with the house passing to his daughter Flora after his death.   105129
14 Ruisgarry (Trealigarry) The croft at 14 Ruisgarry was created in the 1850 relotting of Ruisgarry by the Harris Estate. The area it lies within is known as Trealigarry (Gaelic: Trealaigearraidh), probably meaning 'meadowland of the bypath or... 67369
4 Drinishader 75799
4 Kershader John Macleod "Iain Ruadh Mor the 8th" - 1740 was said to have been Tacksman at several places in Southern Park, such as Stromas, Seaforth and Scalladale where it is said that he was 12 years as Tacksman before coming to... 12181
'House 3' Ludag This was the  home of cottars Alexander MacLean and his family, who had been removed from their croft. Following Alexander's death the house passed to his unmarried daughter Mary.  73762

Pages