You are here

Crofts and Residences

Crofts and Residences

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
3 Cromore The first tenant of this croft was Donald Macaulay (1821-). When his son Hector and his family moved to Stornoway, the croft was sold to Angus Macarthur, 20 Cromore. 42264
15 Kneep The first tenant at 15 Kneep was the widow Janet Maclennan (nee Morrison), whose husband Donald had died in 1856. 3071
4 Aird Uig The first tenant at 4 Aird was Murdo Matheson from Reef; he went to Canada and the croft passed to his brother Malcolm (also from Reef) and then to Angus Macritchie from 7 Aird. 2785
8 Calbost Croft 8 Calbost was never confined to one family until "Domhnuill an S'heock" died in 1957. At times there were three dwelling houses on it. Yes 1914
Park House, Marybank 23164
Knockiandue Schoolhouse, Keose The school and schoolhouse opened on the 30 October, 1878, with Alexander Crawford, who had been the teacher in the old Parish School, becoming the headmaster of the school. The schoolhouse ceased to be used for... 6770
4 Reef 4 Reef was lotted in 1921, when the village was resettled. The first tenant was Alexander Macdonald (Alasdair Iain na Duine) from 14 Valtos. It passed to Louis Macdonald 11 Reef and then to his widow Flora. 3137
3a Valtos 3a Valtos was first mentioned on the 1901 census. 38389
8 Gravir The first tenant of this croft was John Macinnes (1793) who had previously been living at 36 Gravir. A detailed account of living in the barn, building the new houses and life as lived at 8 Gravir is provided by Calum... 897
Parish Schoolhouse, Keose The 1st Ordinance Survey, 1848-1853 states that the Parish Schoolhouse is a stone and slated building in the village of Keose on the margin of Loch Erisort. This is the parochial school of the parish of Lochs,... 11843
16 South Beach Street, Stornoway 22341
19a Cromore The first tenant of this croft was Finlay Smith (1813), followed by Donald Mackenzie, 5 Cromore. 47351
62 Haugh Road, Glasgow 10541
4 Keose Glebe Alexander Macmillan (1878-1938) from 17 Crossbost and married to Christina Macdonald, 18 Laxay took up the tenancy of 4 Keose Glebe in 1936. Alexander's widow Christina, moved with her son Colin and daughter Nora to 3... Yes 5324
13 Calbost The first tenant to occupy 13 Calbost was Kenneth Macleod (Coinneach Mor) who originally came from Carloway or Tolsta Chaolais. He was raised by his aunt Marion Mackenzie, who accompanied him, along with her son Norman... 7809
Doctors Residence, Keose The doctors surgery and residence were built in 1889 on the site of the old Parish School. The first doctor to use this new residence was Dr Angus Macaulay, Balivanich. After the house was no longer used for the doctors... 8968
Keose Manse Keose Manse was built between 1725-1726. Following the death of Rev Colin Mackenzie in 1759, Alexander Mackenzie from Valtos was said to have taken violent possession of the manse at Keose and the surrounding farm. In... Yes 5238
4 Geshader Kenneth Maciver was the first tenant on 4 Geshader. There were at one time four houses on the croft, including that of the preacher, as well as the Meeting House, of which nothing now remains. Yes 2553
3 Keose Glebe William Smith (1903-1984) was residing at his parental home, Seaview, Keose when he moved to 3 Keose Glebe in 1934. see<<7265Breakup of Keose Glebe##>> Yes 5323
14 Carishader 14 Carishader, along with 13, was lotted later than the rest of the village. 3056
24 Doune Carloway This house was built in 1832 to accommodate the family of the tacksman, working at Doune Farm. The first tacksman was Alexander Humphrey from Elgin who later moved to Swainbost Farm. In 1853, Doune tenants were evicted... 67841
10 Habost, Lochs The crofts at 9, 10, 11 and 12 Habost are believed to have been part of Duncan Maclennan's tack (see Habost), and may have been lotted later than the rest of the village. John Macleod, born 1864, ran a shop (Buth an... 11394
Seaview, Keose Glebe This house is slightly unusual as it sits right on the shoreline. It is commonly assumed to be part of Keose, but actually sits inside the Glebe. The boundary to the Glebe was the stone wall that comes down by... 5892
8 Corn Street, Glasgow 9216
Seaside Cottage, Keose Glebe The original house on this site was built by Angus Smith (1856-1934) who had been brought up in Cleasgro. In the days before stability of tenure for crofters, he built his house below the high water mark, which meant... Yes 35939
9 Kirkibost No.9 Kirkibost is situated between Nos. 8 and 10, the moor and East Loch Roag. The first tenant after resettlement in 1878 was Norman Macdonald "Dubh Cheann". He swapped crofts with Murdo Morrison - No.4 (qv). 1395
Free Church Manse, Gravir 46544
13 Valtos 3173
6 Tobson The first known tenant (1851 Census) on No 6 Tobson was John Macdonald a son of Calum a Chabar. The tenancy of this croft has remained in the same family since then. 3733
8 Valtos Croft 7, 8 and 9 Valtos were originally one. Donald Macleod (son of Malcolm) was the original tenant. In the 1841 census this household consisted of Donald Macleod 40 Isabella 40, Catherine 15, Calum 13, Henny 10,... 3168

Pages