You are here
Local tradition maintains that some of the Calbost settlers such as Norman Mackenzie, Tormod Buidhe (1780-1864) came to Calbost towards the end of the 18th century. He must therefore have been under the early runrig system of tenure under Robert Weir, during his early years at Calbost. The first seven crofts were lotted in 1818 and the present boundaries of all 14 crofts not established until 1852.
The area around crofts 2, 3 and 4 in Calbost is the oldest known inhabited part of the village. It was the centre of Robert Weir's tack and his big garden, leas-mor, extends practically right across these three crofts. It was probably the main part of his arable land and it was protected by a stone wall with his home built into the garden wall on the west side, just within the present boundary of croft 3.
Tormod Buidhe, the first tenant at the lotting in 1818, is believed to have come from Carloway with his widowed mother Marion Macarthur.
The croft is in two sections, having acquired an extension to the north of the village in about 1901.