You are here

Businesses

Businesses

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Titlesort descending Description Images Id
Lochboisdale Hotel Lochboisdale Hotel was built as a fishing hotel, receiving its first guests in 1882. Yes 104493
Lochs Motor Transport Company Lochs Motor Transport was originally founded by three men from North Lochs, just after the Second World War, running a bus service from Stornoway to Ranish. Eventually the partnership broke up and Roddy D Macdonald, 19b... 9291
MacKenzie & MacFarlane, Point Street MacKenzie & MacFarlane's shop was originally set up by two men from Crobeg, Lochs. John Mackenzie (1836-1903) was the son of Coinneach Bad-a-Cro or Coinneach Crossbost, as he was the last Tacksman in Crossbost. John... 43169
Macdonald Printers and Publishers Macdonald Printers and Publishers was founded in 1957 by Callum Macdonald. Due to the successful development of work for the University of Edinburgh and Scottish Widows the company outgrew its Edinburgh city centre... 26713
Mitchell's Garage, Bayhead Street, Stornoway Mitchell's Garage (John Mitchell & Sons) was located in Bayhead Street, Stornoway at the junction of Matheson Road. The business closed down in the 1970s. Yes 39282
Peter Macdonald, Draper This drapery shop was known locally as 'Peter Squeaks'. It was established by Peter Macdonald, 7 Kirkibost. Yes 45382
Post Office, Arivruach Donald Montgomery and his wife Isobel, 7 Arivruach ran the first Post Office in the village which opened in 1950 until they emigrated to Australia in 1952. Malcolm Martin (1923-1997), 26 Arivruach took over the running... 36661
Post Office, Balallan In 1885, a thrice-weekly mail service had begun from Stornoway to Tarbert with the mail for Lochs being delivered from Balallan. The house at 67 Balallan was originally an important staging post for the mail, where the... Yes 24805
Post Office, Callanish 109795
Post Office, Laxay The first Post Office in Laxay was opened by Malcolm Macleod (Calum an Mhoir) at 29 Laxay in 1886. Malcolm ran the Post Office for 32 years before retiring in 1918. Donald Maciver, 13b Laxay then took over the running... Yes 29168
Pringle Woollen Mills, Inverness 106892
Prudential Insurance Company, Stornoway 107911
Pulp and Paper Mills, Corpach, Invernesshire The Pulp and Paper Mills were built in the 1960s and closed in 1980. The buildings were demolished in 2008.  106658
Risay Sea Farms Ltd 12971
Rolls Royce 108142
Seada Thorcuill Torquil Macleod (Tocuill Shiomon), 3 Garyvard was a shoemaker who worked form a shed which still stands beside the steading at croft No 3. His business was confined to shoemaking, mostly in the 1930s. 51715
Shed Thormoid Dhol A small grocery shop run by Norman Macdonald at the Kirkibost crossroads, known locally as Shed Thormoid Dhol. 13325
Singer Sewing Machine Factory, Clydebank Singer is an American manufacturer of sewing machines. The 11,000 workers at the factory in Clydebank went on strike in March - April 1911 ceasing to work in solidarity with twelve female colleagues protesting against... 106149
Smiths Shoe Shop, 87 Cromwell Street, Stornoway Smiths Shoe Shop, 87 Cromwell Street, Stornoway - also known as the Stornoway Parliament. The shop closed in 2006. 43163
Sprinkle Ranch, Chinook 109176
Standard Oil Company 68104
Star Inn, 13 South Beach Street, Stornoway These premises were at one time operated under the name of Lewis Coffee House and reverted back to its former name, Star Inn, around 1930. 43166
Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada A Canadian-based international financial sevices organization that began life as "Sun Mutual life Assurance Company of Montreal". It was founded in 1865 by Mathew Hamilton Gault, son of an Irish merchant and ship-owner... 28597
The Gravir Buses The Gravir Buses over the years, owned by John Murdo Morrison (A' Ledidh) of Parkview, Gravir. See also his reminiscences in English or Gaelic.   Yes 36064
Thomas Smith & Co, Stornoway This company was involved in the finishing process for the Harris Tweed industry. 40850
Timex, Dundee 117074
W J Macdonald W J Macdonald was established in 1931 on 5 Francis Street, Stornoway by William John Macdonald. In 1975 Robert A Smith bought W J Macdonald's. Robert's father, John Smith, was also a butcher and had established John... 117454

Pages