You are here

Businesses

Businesses

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Titlesort descending Description Images Id
Alginate Industries A new seaweed factory was built on the site of the old church on Eilean Thabhaigh in 1965 by Alginate Industries who had built their first factory in the island at South Uist in 1944. The factory was to process seaweed... Yes 8986
Ardmore Sea Farms Ltd In operation in the 1980's 12972
Bain & Morrison & Co Ltd, 18 Lewis Street, Stornoway Bain & Morrison & Co Ltd is a home improvement, retail and hardware store. Situated at 18 Lewis Street, Stornoway, this business was established in 1901. 52782
Bernera Salmon Ltd in operation in the 1980's 12969
Blackie & Son Ltd, Glasgow The firm known, after 1890, as Blackie & Son Ltd was founded on 20 November 1809 by John Blackie, snr, (1782-1874) in partnership with two friends, Archibald Fullerton and William Somerville and was known as Blackie... 61052
Blue Star Shipping Company The Blue Star Line was owned by Vestey Brothers, Union Cold Storage Company and commenced operating their own ships in 1909, principally for the carriage of frozen produce initially from South America and China. 46087
Boots the Chemist Boots the Chemist began in Nottingham in 1849 with the opening of John Boot's British and American Botanic Establishment, and has grown to become an international chain with shops in 130 countries. The small Stornoway... 23945
Buth Alasdair Rhuaraidh Alexander Mackinnon (Alasdair Ruaraidh), 1 Garyvard ran a shop which was attached to his house on croft number 1. Like most merchants, he owned a number of boats over the years to bring goods from Stornoway. 51733
Buth Chailean Colin Macleod, 2 Habost operated a shop from the late 1800s to the 1950s. After his sudden death, his sister ran the shop for a few years. 62193
Buth Chalum an Shaoir, 13 Baile Ailean Calum Macleod (1892-1985) ran a small shop on the croft at no 13 Balallan after he returned from the First World War. He sold mainly tea, sugar and other basic provisions. Yes 37818
Buth Choinnich a'Cheannaich, 20a Baile Ailean When the croft at 20 Balallan was split in 1886, Malcolm Macleod became the first tenant. Malcolm had set up a grocery business at No 20 Buth a Cheannaich and his son Kenneth Macleod who was a student at Aberdeen... Yes 37718
Buth Ciorstag, Lacasaigh Buth Ciorstag was run by two sisters, Ciorstag and Mairi Tharamoid. They sold the usual necessities: bread, tea, sugar, sweets, tobacco and paraffin which was in great demand at the time for the lanterns. Malcolm... 29169
Buth Dhomhnaill Mhoir, 21 Baile Ailean Donald Macleod returned home after serving in the First World War. He set up shop right next door to the shop at 20a Balallan and although both sold the same kind of commodities, there was never any rivalry between them... 37772
Buth Dhomhnaill an Eachainn, Lacasaigh Buth Dhomhnaill an Eachainn at 20 Laxay was in a closet under the stair of the house and you waited in the kitchen until Catriona was ready to serve you. 29166
Buth Dhomhnull a Gharraidh After the First World War, Donald Macleod, 1 Garyvard set up a shoemaking business on the croft, after having served his time as a shoemaker in Stornoway. This soon became a gathering place ('taigh ceilidh') for the... 51923
Buth Domhnall Moil Donald Morrison (Domhnall Moil), born 1871 in Marvig, had a shop located at the head of the loch in Gravir near the old school. The shop was quite big for those days. It stocked everything from flour, corn, sugar, and... 51915
Buth Fhionnlaigh Bùth Fhionnlaigh was a shop owned by Finlay Smith, 15 Cromore. Goods for the shop were brought by boat from Stornoway. 49553
Buth Iain Dhomhnaill, Lacasaigh Buth Iain Dhomhnaill was very popular as the Macivers also ran the Post Office and had the only telephone in the village at that time. Iain Dhomhnaill's house and shop were in the middle of the village, at 13b. There... 29167
Buth Iain Sheonaidh The old shop and bakery at No 16 Cromore was owned by John Smith and was known as Buth Iain Sheonaidh. The building, which still stands today, was the centre of many activities in the village with all the old bodachs... 49549
Buth Merron, Lacasaigh Buth Merron at 28 Laxay was originally a Police cottage, the last policeman to have lived there being Hugh Fraser. His daughter Marion, ran the shop. 29170
Buth Mhurchaidh Shandaidh This shop, on croft 1 Habost was run by Murdo Macdonald. Along with general provisions, the shop also included a butchery. In those days it was common to go to the shop with eggs or any other commodity which could be... 62192
Buth Murdag Shiomon Murdina Macleod (Murdag Shiomon), 3 Garyvard revived the shop which her grandfather Murdo Macleod had operated from the family home around the turn of the Century. Murdag was a true entrepreneur; she bought and sold... 51730
Buth Neill Alastair This shop at 10 Kirkibost, Bernera, was also known as "Shed a Chladaich" Yes 13316
Buth Ruairidh Mhoir Bùth Ruairidh Mhòir was a butcher's business run by Roderick Angus Macleod, 26 Balallan. Yes 37819
Buth Sheonnaidh Dhuinn, Lacasaigh Buth Sheonnaidh Dhuinn was located at 5 Laxay. Sheonnaidh was a carter and brought the goods over from Stornoway on a certain day of the week. People from South Lochs and Kinloch would then come over to Laxay to buy... 29171
Buth a Bhaicear, 52b Baile Ailean John Macdonald emigrated to Boston, USA where he became a master baker. On his return to Lewis he opened a bakery opposite 21 Balallan. He soon realised that people in Lewis at that time did not have the same... 37817
Buth a Cheannaich, 20 Baile Ailean Malcolm (1835-1923) son of Malcolm Macleod and Margaret Maciver opened this shop after he had to give up fishing on account of suffering from seasickness. The shop was attached to the Post Office run by Malcolm's son... Yes 37820
Cabarfeidh Hotel The Cabarfeidh Hotel is located at Manor Park, Perceval Road South, Stornoway HS1 2EU   111413
Caledonian Macbrayne Caledonian Macbrayne serving the West Coast of Scotland is the largest operator of passenger vessels flying the Red Ensign and currently runs 28 ferries on the Clyde and the islands from Arran in the south to Lewis in... 56109
Canadian Pacific Railway Founded in 1881, the Canadian Pacific Railway was intended to link the country across its wide expanse. Over the years it diversified into shipping and an airline.   Since 1986 the company has been known as Canadian... 104898

Pages