You are here

Businesses

Businesses

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort ascending Id
Star Inn, 13 South Beach Street, Stornoway These premises were at one time operated under the name of Lewis Coffee House and reverted back to its former name, Star Inn, around 1930. 43166
Charles Morrison & Son Charles Morrison came from Dornoch to Stornoway in the mid-19th century and established a ship's chandlers on Bank Street, known as Buth Thearlaich, which became widely known and appreciated. It eventually amalgamated... 43168
MacKenzie & MacFarlane, Point Street MacKenzie & MacFarlane's shop was originally set up by two men from Crobeg, Lochs. John Mackenzie (1836-1903) was the son of Coinneach Bad-a-Cro or Coinneach Crossbost, as he was the last Tacksman in Crossbost. John... 43169
J & P Coats, Paisley J & P Coats were a company involved in the manufacture of sewing and embroidery thread. 43769
Easton, Gibb & Son Easton, Gibb & Son was a Scottish engineering firm, specialising in public works projects. In 1900, Alexander Gibb became the firm's chairman and managing director, taking over from his father. Under his... 43811
Dugald Maclean, Butcher Dugald Maclean was a butcher with premises at Point Street, Stornoway. 45695
Charles Macleod, Butcher This butchery business was set up by Charles Menendez Macleod in Ropework Road, Stornoway in 1947.  45699
Blue Star Shipping Company The Blue Star Line was owned by Vestey Brothers, Union Cold Storage Company and commenced operating their own ships in 1909, principally for the carriage of frozen produce initially from South America and China. 46087
Kenneth Mackenzie & Co Ltd, Stornoway Kenneth Mackenzie is the oldest and biggest mill in Stornoway. The mills took over the production of yarn, dyeing and finishing tweed, while the weaving was and still is done on looms owned and used at home by weavers.... 48813
Buth Iain Sheonaidh The old shop and bakery at No 16 Cromore was owned by John Smith and was known as Buth Iain Sheonaidh. The building, which still stands today, was the centre of many activities in the village with all the old bodachs... 49549
Buth Fhionnlaigh Bùth Fhionnlaigh was a shop owned by Finlay Smith, 15 Cromore. Goods for the shop were brought by boat from Stornoway. 49553
Seada Thorcuill Torquil Macleod (Tocuill Shiomon), 3 Garyvard was a shoemaker who worked form a shed which still stands beside the steading at croft No 3. His business was confined to shoemaking, mostly in the 1930s. 51715
Buth Murdag Shiomon Murdina Macleod (Murdag Shiomon), 3 Garyvard revived the shop which her grandfather Murdo Macleod had operated from the family home around the turn of the Century. Murdag was a true entrepreneur; she bought and sold... 51730
Buth Alasdair Rhuaraidh Alexander Mackinnon (Alasdair Ruaraidh), 1 Garyvard ran a shop which was attached to his house on croft number 1. Like most merchants, he owned a number of boats over the years to bring goods from Stornoway. 51733
Buth Dhomhnull a Gharraidh After the First World War, Donald Macleod, 1 Garyvard set up a shoemaking business on the croft, after having served his time as a shoemaker in Stornoway. This soon became a gathering place ('taigh ceilidh') for the... 51923
Bain & Morrison & Co Ltd, 18 Lewis Street, Stornoway Bain & Morrison & Co Ltd is a home improvement, retail and hardware store. Situated at 18 Lewis Street, Stornoway, this business was established in 1901. 52782
Caledonian Macbrayne Caledonian Macbrayne serving the West Coast of Scotland is the largest operator of passenger vessels flying the Red Ensign and currently runs 28 ferries on the Clyde and the islands from Arran in the south to Lewis in... 56109
Blackie & Son Ltd, Glasgow The firm known, after 1890, as Blackie & Son Ltd was founded on 20 November 1809 by John Blackie, snr, (1782-1874) in partnership with two friends, Archibald Fullerton and William Somerville and was known as Blackie... 61052
Buth Mhurchaidh Shandaidh This shop, on croft 1 Habost was run by Murdo Macdonald. Along with general provisions, the shop also included a butchery. In those days it was common to go to the shop with eggs or any other commodity which could be... 62192
Buth Chailean Colin Macleod, 2 Habost operated a shop from the late 1800s to the 1950s. After his sudden death, his sister ran the shop for a few years. 62193
Cunard Line Cunard Line is a cruise company based at Southampton, England. Its history can be traced back to the British and North American Royal Mail Steam Packet Company, founded in 1838 by Samuel Cunard and others. The name was... 63951
Hebrides Haulage This is a haulage business set up in 1976 by John M Macdonald, 26 Laxay with offices in Stornoway and Glasgow. 667
Standard Oil Company 68104
Keose General Shop Angus Smith (1856-1934), opened a shop in Keose which was used not only by the village but also by the villagers across the water at Garyvard who would sail across the loch to buy their provisions. 8979
Keose Manse Shop Hector Ross Macrae (1901-1941) came to Keose in 1932 where he set up a shop in the Manse selling groceries and drapery. 8980
Keose Co-operative Ltd Keose Co-operative Ltd took over the former Alginate Industries factory at Tavay Island, Keose in 1980. 8984
Lochs Motor Transport Company Lochs Motor Transport was originally founded by three men from North Lochs, just after the Second World War, running a bus service from Stornoway to Ranish. Eventually the partnership broke up and Roddy D Macdonald, 19b... 9291

Pages