You are here

MacKenzie & MacFarlane, Point Street

MacKenzie & MacFarlane, Point Street

MacKenzie & MacFarlane's shop was originally set up by two men from Crobeg, Lochs. John Mackenzie (1836-1903) was the son of Coinneach Bad-a-Cro or Coinneach Crossbost, as he was the last Tacksman in Crossbost. John Mackenzie was brought up in Crobeg and mention is made of him in the Book 'The Men of Lewis' by Rev N A Macfarlane (who also resided at Crobeg for a while). He refered to him as being one of the saintliest men in Lewis at that time. His partner John Macfarlane was a cousin who resided in Crobeg as well, a brother of Rev N A Macfarlane.

A young man from Marvig became a shop assistant in MacKenzie & MacFarlane, Point Street, Alexander Maclennan (mac Alastair Bhain), 6 Marvig. Alexander was popularly known as 'Holy Alex', probably because he was a pillar of the United Free Church congregation in Stornoway. Alex eventually became Proprietor of MacKenzie & MacFarlane and in due course Provost of Stornoway and County Councillor for Park, the district of his birth. After Alex Maclennan retired his shop was taken over by the adjoining ship's chandler, Charles Morrison & Son and continued in the same building fronting on to Point Street.

Sadly, the Stornoway Gazette issue dated 6 June 2002 reported the closure of Buth Thearlaich on Friday 31st May 2002.

 

Title: MacKenzie & MacFarlane, Point Street
Record Type: Businesses
Type: Chandler
Record Maintained By: CEP
Subject Id: 43169