You are here

Businesses

Businesses

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
Buth Fhionnlaigh Bùth Fhionnlaigh was a shop owned by Finlay Smith, 15 Cromore. Goods for the shop were brought by boat from Stornoway. 49553
Buth Iain Sheonaidh The old shop and bakery at No 16 Cromore was owned by John Smith and was known as Buth Iain Sheonaidh. The building, which still stands today, was the centre of many activities in the village with all the old bodachs... 49549
Hudson's Bay Company The Hudson's Bay Company, founded by Royal Charter in 1670, is the oldest chartered trading company in the world. Its main interest for the first two centuries was the fur trade, controlled from its headquarters at York... 19868
J & J Tod Ltd J & J Tod Ltd of Leith was a wholesale provision merchants owned by Gilbert Archer. After the Great War, James Macdonald of Habost was a commercial traveller for the firm, which later opened premises in Stornoway (... 42659
James Macdonald Ltd James Macdonald, Habost, who ran various enterprises in Pairc, set up a tweed business in partnership with his former employer, Gilbert Archer of J & J Tod Ltd, wholesalers in Stornoway. The Macdonald factory set up... Yes 42657
Standard Oil Company 68104
Hebrides Fish Ltd 12966
Buth Choinnich a'Cheannaich, 20a Baile Ailean When the croft at 20 Balallan was split in 1886, Malcolm Macleod became the first tenant. Malcolm had set up a grocery business at No 20 Buth a Cheannaich and his son Kenneth Macleod who was a student at Aberdeen... Yes 37718
Post Office, Balallan In 1885, a thrice-weekly mail service had begun from Stornoway to Tarbert with the mail for Lochs being delivered from Balallan. The house at 67 Balallan was originally an important staging post for the mail, where the... Yes 24805
Buth Chalum an Shaoir, 13 Baile Ailean Calum Macleod (1892-1985) ran a small shop on the croft at no 13 Balallan after he returned from the First World War. He sold mainly tea, sugar and other basic provisions. Yes 37818
Buth a Cheannaich, 20 Baile Ailean Malcolm (1835-1923) son of Malcolm Macleod and Margaret Maciver opened this shop after he had to give up fishing on account of suffering from seasickness. The shop was attached to the Post Office run by Malcolm's son... Yes 37820
Buth Ruairidh Mhoir Bùth Ruairidh Mhòir was a butcher's business run by Roderick Angus Macleod, 26 Balallan. Yes 37819
Star Inn, 13 South Beach Street, Stornoway These premises were at one time operated under the name of Lewis Coffee House and reverted back to its former name, Star Inn, around 1930. 43166
Post Office, Laxay The first Post Office in Laxay was opened by Malcolm Macleod (Calum an Mhoir) at 29 Laxay in 1886. Malcolm ran the Post Office for 32 years before retiring in 1918. Donald Maciver, 13b Laxay then took over the running... Yes 29168
Buth Domhnall Moil Donald Morrison (Domhnall Moil), born 1871 in Marvig, had a shop located at the head of the loch in Gravir near the old school. The shop was quite big for those days. It stocked everything from flour, corn, sugar, and... 51915
The Gravir Buses The Gravir Buses over the years, owned by John Murdo Morrison (A' Ledidh) of Parkview, Gravir. See also his reminiscences in English or Gaelic. Yes 36064
MacKenzie & MacFarlane, Point Street MacKenzie & MacFarlane's shop was originally set up by two men from Crobeg, Lochs. John Mackenzie (1836-1903) was the son of Coinneach Bad-a-Cro or Coinneach Crossbost, as he was the last Tacksman in Crossbost. John... 43169
Charles Morrison & Son Charles Morrison came from Dornoch to Stornoway in the mid-19th century and established a ship's chandlers on Bank Street, known as Buth Thearlaich, which became widely known and appreciated. It eventually amalgamated... 43168
Charles Macleod, Butcher This butchery business was set up by Charles Menendez Macleod in Ropework Road, Stornoway in 1947.  45699
Buth Alasdair Rhuaraidh Alexander Mackinnon (Alasdair Ruaraidh), 1 Garyvard ran a shop which was attached to his house on croft number 1. Like most merchants, he owned a number of boats over the years to bring goods from Stornoway. 51733
Alginate Industries A new seaweed factory was built on the site of the old church on Eilean Thabhaigh in 1965 by Alginate Industries who had built their first factory in the island at South Uist in 1944. The factory was to process seaweed... Yes 8986
Mitchell's Garage, Bayhead Street, Stornoway Mitchell's Garage (John Mitchell & Sons) was located in Bayhead Street, Stornoway at the junction of Matheson Road. The business closed down in the 1970s. Yes 39282
Buth a Bhaicear, 52b Baile Ailean John Macdonald emigrated to Boston, USA where he became a master baker. On his return to Lewis he opened a bakery opposite 21 Balallan. He soon realised that people in Lewis at that time did not have the same... 37817
John Alex Mackenzie, Haulage Contractor John Alex Mackenzie, Haulage Contractor, Laxay had the contract for gritting the roads at one time. 22648
Thomas Smith & Co, Stornoway This company was involved in the finishing process for the Harris Tweed industry. 40850
Bernera Salmon Ltd in operation in the 1980's 12969
Buth Dhomhnaill Mhoir, 21 Baile Ailean Donald Macleod returned home after serving in the First World War. He set up shop right next door to the shop at 20a Balallan and although both sold the same kind of commodities, there was never any rivalry between them... 37772
Seada Thorcuill Torquil Macleod (Tocuill Shiomon), 3 Garyvard was a shoemaker who worked form a shed which still stands beside the steading at croft No 3. His business was confined to shoemaking, mostly in the 1930s. 51715
Buth Merron, Lacasaigh Buth Merron at 28 Laxay was originally a Police cottage, the last policeman to have lived there being Hugh Fraser. His daughter Marion, ran the shop. 29170
Post Office, Arivruach Donald Montgomery and his wife Isobel, 7 Arivruach ran the first Post Office in the village which opened in 1950 until they emigrated to Australia in 1952. Malcolm Martin (1923-1997), 26 Arivruach took over the running... 36661

Pages