You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
Gartloch Hospital Gartloch Hospital was built by the Glasgow District Lunacy Board and opened in 1896. A TB unit was opened in 1902.The hospital became an Emergency Medical Services unit during World War 2, and the psychiatric patients... 58455
1st Crulivig School The first school in Crulivig was located at 3 Crulivig. During the 1880s it was moved to a location between 5 and 6 Crulivig. 25140
Carloway Pier Carloway Pier was built in 1892, on a small island (An Dunan) which was the location of a broch in earlier times. Yes 47175
New College, Edinburgh New College was founded following the schism in the Church of Scotland, known as the Disruption. Those training for the new Free Church of Scotland needed a new college. Initially, from October 1843, classes for trainee... 24874
RAF Kinloch The RAF had a base at Soval, Kinloch from 1941 until they left in May 1942. Yes 46008
High Church, Stornoway See the link below for information on churches in Stornoway. www.stornowayhistoricalsociety.org.uk 39204
Arivruach School Arivruach School, a Board School, built in response to the Education Act of 1872, was opened on 26 September 1893. The first teacher was Rose MacCorkindale and on 1 February 1894 she gave up her post. It seemed to be... Yes 22020
Geshader Meeting House There is very little left of the Meeting House in Geshader as the stones from the building were used to build the present house. The picture shows the house that the preached lived in, which was next to the Meeting... Yes 21763
SSPCK School, Bernera A school was established in Breaclete, Bernera in the early years of the 19th century by the Scottish Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge. It was never well-attended and eventually closed after 27 months... 50154
Seaforth Head School Seaforth Head School during its lifetime was under the umbrella of Arivruach School. Among those who taught at Seaforth Head, many of them for short periods were Kate Montgomery, Ranish and Katie Ann Macmillan,... 21657
Gaelic School, Kershader In 1832, Kershader School opened and was located on croft 6 Kershader. The teacher was Angus Matheson and the population of the school was 150. 46224
House 2 croft 10a Geshader The old white house on croft 10a, next to the black house. Yes 29289
Ladies Highland Association School, Cromore By 1864 there was a Sgoil nan Leidies at Cromore, supported by the Ladies' Highland Association with a J Macneil as schoolmaster and Miss Macneil as sewing mistress. This seems to have replaced the earlier Gaelic School... 50156
Torlum School 77126
Gaelic School, Balallan On 16 January 1811, the Edinburgh Society for the Support of Gaelic Schools was formed and this Society greatly influenced education in Lewis for the following 30 years. The first Gaelic School in Balallan opened in... 39451
House 2 croft 4 Geshader This was the second house built on croft 4, the house of Murchadh Choinnich Aonghas. Yes 29218
Miavaig Smithy The Miavaig Smithy (now just a shell) was the forge belonging to Murdo Macleod of Uigen. 21801
Meeting House Aird Uig The church meeting house at Aird Uig belonged to the Church of Scotland, Miabhaig. It was used by villagers to save them having to walk the distance to the main church at Baile na Cille. Yes 19283
House 1 croft 7 Geshader This was the house of Coinneach Ruadh, who came from Penny Donald (Ardroil area). Yes 29276
Church of Scotland Mission House The Mission House in Habost was built in 1911 and opened to a large crowd. This was originally the church in Laxay and it was moved to Habost when the present Church of Scotland was built there. It was a wooden... 47713
West Earshader Farmhouse 25123
Valtos New Cemetery 21783
Tong School 57744
Howmore Hostel 107120
Museum nan Eilean, Lionacleit 107139
Manish Free Church Manish Free Church was built in the 1850s and its construction was overseen by John Morison, Gobha na Hearadh. John Morison embarked on a tour on the Free Church ship Breadalbane to the Clyde in 1851, when he toured the... 107498
Greenock Royal Infirmary The infirmary became Greenock Royal Infirmary in 1922, in recognition of the valuable work done for soldiers and sailors in World War One. In 1974 it passed into the care of the Inverclyde District of the Argyll and... 107979
Bellshill Maternity Hospital Bellshill Maternity Hospital started as a two-ward hospital in the 1870s. In 1917, it began to specialise as a maternity hospital, the first in Lanarkshire. Bellshill saw the birth of thousands of Lanarkshire babies,... 107980
Craig Dunain Hospital, Inverness 108052
SSPCK School, Scarista The SSPCK school was opened in 1732. This document on the Am Baile website shows that by 1748 13 boys and 9 girls were in attendance. 108290

Pages