You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
Tweed Mill, Café and Shop, Kintarvie This Centre was owned and run by John Montgomery, 12 Arivruach until the early 1980s. The original building was burnt down and was rebuilt. Yes 21738
Sgoil Lionacleit Sgoil Lionacleit, otherwise Liniclate School, serves secondary aged children in the Uists. The school opened in 1988. Within it are situated the community library, public swimming pool and local museum, amongst other... 70036
Lionacleit Community Library The community library for the Uist islands is located at the community school, Sgoil Lionacleit, on the island of Benbecula. As well as the normal range of books for loan, it holds an extensive collection of local... 67499
House 3 croft 4 Geshader (preacher's house) This was the preacher's house in Geshader and was built next to the Meeting House. Yes 29224
Gaelic School, Arivruach One of the many schools set up to teach pupils to read the Bible in their owm language. These schools stayed in a location for about a year. 58497
Back School 46890
Bragar School 40724
Lewis Hospital, Stornoway The original hospital was situated on Goathill Road, Stornoway. A new hospital - the Western Isles Hospital - was opened in 1993 in Manor Park, Stornoway to replace the Lewis and County Hospitals. 24696
Military Hospital, Wrest Park, Bedford Wrest House is a stately house in Bedfordshire, England and was used a a military hospital in WW! 25039
St John's Ambulance Brigade Field Hospital, Etaples A St John's Ambulance Brigade's field hospital was located at Étaples, France during the First World War. 25041
Eaglais Mharcoil The ruins of this church are on No 15 Kirkibost. The visible ruins are of a church that was built at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries by the "two Murdos". One, Murdo Macaulay moved to Tobson, the other was a... Yes 41326
Aird School, Point 13870
House 4 croft 4 Geshader This house was built by Donald Macdonald (Domhnall a Ghreusaic), who was the son of Donald Macdonald (the shoemaker). Donald built the house when he was married, the house was abandoned in 1937. Yes 29225
Free Church of Scotland, Shawbost 62765
Ladies Highland Association School, Balallan The school opened in 1858 in the old Gaelic School building at 15/16 Balallan. The teachers were: Mr George Bruce - 1858- Mr John Macphail - 1859- Mr Roderick Macrae - 1860-1863 (School roll was 36; one pupil was taught... 39460
Ruchill Hospital, Glasgow Ruchill Hospital was opened in 1900 as a 440 bed hospital for infectious diseases. The hospital soon expanded, with an additional 272 beds added for tuberculosis patients by 1915. The hospital finally closed in 1999. 57325
Manchester Regional Hospital Board There are several hospitals within the Manchester Regional Health Board 13915
Mearnskirk Hospital, Glasgow Mearnskirk Hospital for children was opened in May 1930 as a tubercolosis hopsital for patients under the age of 15.  13914
Lews Castle, Stornoway Lews Castle was built by Sir James Matheson on the site of Seaforth Lodge, overlooking the town of Stornoway. The building cost £60,000 and, begun in 1847, took seven years to complete. At the same time extensive... Yes 45200
Post Office, Crulivig The Post Office in Crulivig was located at No 5 or "an Ard" as it was better known. It was run by Murdo Macdonald "Murchadh Dhomhnaill Bhain" and, during the war years when Murdo was in the Navy, by his sister Catherine... 40554
Tigh na Leac Tigh na Leac in Bosta was known to be occupied when Neil Macleod was besieged on Berisay in the 1600s. Yes 65120
Eishken Lodge, Eishken Eishken Lodge is situated at Tob Eishken on Loch Shell and has stunning views over the loch to the hills on the other side. The Lodge dates from the mid 19th Century, built of harled stone under a slate roof,... Yes 21670
House 2 croft 5 Geshader The old white house on croft 5 Geshader was built next to the old black house, which became the byre and barn for the new house. Yes 29227
Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow Stobhill opened as a Poor Law hospital in 1904, with 1867 beds. It was requisitioned in 1914 for wounded services. It returned to civilian use in 1920 and became a general hospital in 1929. 45078
Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital Now known as the Princess Royal Maternity Hospital 45079
Dunfermline Academy Dunfermline Academy of Sport Fife 55157
Free English Church, Stornoway The Free English Church was established in Stornoway in 1875 to provide for English speaking residents and visitors who were adherents of the Free Church. The church was situated at the corner of Francis Street and... 40700
White House, Washington State 45449
Doctors House and Surgery, Miavaig The Doctor's House and Surgery in Miavaig was built in the 1930s, and is still serving the same purpose. The doctor serves the community of Uig and Bernera; the nearest hospital is Western Isles Hospital in Stornoway. 21799
Gaelic? School, Lemreway There appears to have been a school in Lemreway as early as the 1830s or 1840s, as a school teacher, Peter Macewen, is listed in the 1841 census, lodging in the village with his sister Catherine. It is likely that this... 50170

Pages