You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Titlesort descending Description Images Id
1st Crulivig School The first school in Crulivig was located at 3 Crulivig. During the 1880s it was moved to a location between 5 and 6 Crulivig. 25140
2nd Crulivig School Crulivig School moved from 3 Crulivig to a location between 5 and 6 Crulivig (probably in the 1880s). Yes 25141
Aberdeen University Aberdeen University, founded in 1495, is Scotland's third oldest university. It has 13,000 students and 3000 staff.  Its campus contains many historic buildings.  13871
Aird School, Point 13870
Amhuinnsuidhe Castle, Harris Amhuinnsuidhe Castle was built in 1867 in Scottish baronial style by the 7th Earl of Dunmore. It passed through various hands since then and is now in private ownership following a joint bid with the local community to... 60766
An Eaglais Dhearg When Dr P J Macleod bought the building, formerly used by the United Free Church, he gave it to the Bernera recreation club. It was painted red and known as "an Eaglais Dhearg" (the red church). Part of it was used by... 40490
Arivruach School Arivruach School, a Board School, built in response to the Education Act of 1872, was opened on 26 September 1893. The first teacher was Rose MacCorkindale and on 1 February 1894 she gave up her post. It seemed to be... Yes 22020
Back School 46890
Baile na Cille Manse (1784) The Manse at Baile na Cille was built c1784 on glebe land just above the shore at Uig Sands, near the ancient cemetery and sanctuary around St Christopher's Chapel. It served as the residence of the Established Church... Yes 40694
Balallan School, Balallan In 1872 the Education (Scotland) Act vested complete responsibility for education with the Government but it took some time to build schools in Kinloch. Balallan School was opened on 26 May 1879 when 23 pupils were... Yes 22018
Barra Airport Barra's airport, with three runways for different wind directions, is famously located at the cockle beach Tràigh Mhòr, which provides suitable hard ground for planes to land, depending on tides. The airfield was... Yes 109665
Bellshill Maternity Hospital Bellshill Maternity Hospital started as a two-ward hospital in the 1870s. In 1917, it began to specialise as a maternity hospital, the first in Lanarkshire. Bellshill saw the birth of thousands of Lanarkshire babies,... 107980
Bernera School Bernera School, in the village of Breaclete, was officially opened on the 14th July 1881 by School Board; Mssrs Gillies, Macarthur and Macleod. Until 1963 the pupils were all living in Bernera, and the children in Tir... Yes 25138
Berneray School Berneray School is situated at Ludag at the northern end of the island of Berneray. At one time there were three schools on Berneray - the Primary School, the Gaelic School (close to the church) and also a 'Women's... Yes 67798
Bethesda Care Home & Hospice, Stornoway Bethesda Care Home and Hospice is a charitable institution, situated in Springfield Road. The nursing home caters for clients of Western Isles Council Social Work Department. The hospice has 4 beds for care of cancer... 43303
Blar Buidhe Care Home, Stornoway Blar Buidhe Care Home is a purpose built forty bedded Care Home offering Dementia and Nursing Care. 111893
Bosta Cemetery The present cemetery was built some time after 1878 when the people in the village had been resettled elsewhere in the island. Before this the burial ground was in Little Bernera which entailed taking the remains across... 39845
Bragar School 40724
Breasclete School, Breasclete 22384
Brenish School Brenish Public School replaced an older blackhouse school in Islivig; it is now in ruins. On Christmas Day, 1908 the schoolhouse was the scene of a meeting of 46 crofters and squatters of the district, who had been... Yes 41205
Bridgend Public School, Alness 46312
Buckingham Palace, London Buckingham Palace is the official London residence of the British monarch. It was originally the town house of the Dukes of Buckingham and was then called Buckingham House. 36129
Carloway Pier Carloway Pier was built in 1892, on a small island (An Dunan) which was the location of a broch in earlier times. Yes 47175
Carstairs State Hospital Carstairs State Hospital is a psychiatric hospital providing care and treatment in conditions of high security for around 140 patients from Scotland and Northern Ireland who need to be detained in hospital. 111896
Church of Scotland Mission Hall, Arivruach This building is no longer in use as a Mission Hall. Yes 39420
Church of Scotland Mission House The Mission House in Habost was built in 1911 and opened to a large crowd. This was originally the church in Laxay and it was moved to Habost when the present Church of Scotland was built there. It was a wooden... 47713
Church of Scotland, Garrabost 62160
Church of Scotland, Kinloch In 1929, a Union took place between the Established Church of Scotland and the United Free Church of Scotland, thereafter called the Church of Scotland. Yes 29110
Cleitir Hotel, Shieldenish Originally a guest house but now run as a hotel. Yes 26857
Cliff College, Calver Cliff College is a Christian theological college in Calver, Derbyshire. Historically it was a Methodist Lay Training College. 114034

Pages