You are here

Buildings and Public Amenities

Buildings and Public Amenities

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Imagessort ascending Id
Eoligarry Quay Yes 109626
Barra Airport Barra's airport, with three runways for different wind directions, is famously located at the cockle beach Tràigh Mhòr, which provides suitable hard ground for planes to land, depending on tides. The airfield was... Yes 109665
Meeting House Aird Uig The church meeting house at Aird Uig belonged to the Church of Scotland, Miabhaig. It was used by villagers to save them having to walk the distance to the main church at Baile na Cille. Yes 19283
Eishken Lodge, Eishken Eishken Lodge is situated at Tob Eishken on Loch Shell and has stunning views over the loch to the hills on the other side. The Lodge dates from the mid 19th Century, built of harled stone under a slate roof,... Yes 21670
Tweed Mill, Café and Shop, Kintarvie This Centre was owned and run by John Montgomery, 12 Arivruach until the early 1980s. The original building was burnt down and was rebuilt. Yes 21738
Geshader Meeting House There is very little left of the Meeting House in Geshader as the stones from the building were used to build the present house. The picture shows the house that the preached lived in, which was next to the Meeting... Yes 21763
Uig Lodge, Lewis Uig Lodge was built in 1876 by James Matheson and later given by Lord Leverhulme to his niece as a wedding present. It was the first concrete dwelling house in Scotland; the sand came from the northwest shore of Loch... Yes 21785
Valtos Pier Valtos was already an important fishing station, with a salt cellar, when in 1824 it was decided by the estate (under Mr Stewart Mackenzie) that a pier was needed, if the fishing was to be properly exploited. The cost... Yes 21804
Balallan School, Balallan In 1872 the Education (Scotland) Act vested complete responsibility for education with the Government but it took some time to build schools in Kinloch. Balallan School was opened on 26 May 1879 when 23 pupils were... Yes 22018
Arivruach School Arivruach School, a Board School, built in response to the Education Act of 1872, was opened on 26 September 1893. The first teacher was Rose MacCorkindale and on 1 February 1894 she gave up her post. It seemed to be... Yes 22020
Free Church of Scotland, Kinloch In January 1881, Presbytery granted an application from Kinloch to be erected into a regular ministerial charge after the need for another church in Lochs, apart from Crossbost, was highlighted and so the General... Yes 22846
Seaweed Factory, Keose The factory was opened in 1965 and was run by Alginate Industries Ltd, processing seaweed until Keose Co-operative Ltd took over in 1980. In September 1981, Mr John Alex Mackenzie took over the business who planned to... Yes 24393
Bernera School Bernera School, in the village of Breaclete, was officially opened on the 14th July 1881 by School Board; Mssrs Gillies, Macarthur and Macleod. Until 1963 the pupils were all living in Bernera, and the children in Tir... Yes 25138
2nd Crulivig School Crulivig School moved from 3 Crulivig to a location between 5 and 6 Crulivig (probably in the 1880s). Yes 25141
Lemreway School, Pairc Lemreway Public School was established as a result of the Education Act of 1872, which stipulated that the 101 children in the area were entitled to an education. The school also served population of Orinsay, when it... Yes 25817
Cleitir Hotel, Shieldenish Originally a guest house but now run as a hotel. Yes 26857
Church of Scotland, Kinloch In 1929, a Union took place between the Established Church of Scotland and the United Free Church of Scotland, thereafter called the Church of Scotland. Yes 29110
House 2 croft 4 Geshader This was the second house built on croft 4, the house of Murchadh Choinnich Aonghas. Yes 29218
House 3 croft 4 Geshader (preacher's house) This was the preacher's house in Geshader and was built next to the Meeting House. Yes 29224
House 4 croft 4 Geshader This house was built by Donald Macdonald (Domhnall a Ghreusaic), who was the son of Donald Macdonald (the shoemaker). Donald built the house when he was married, the house was abandoned in 1937. Yes 29225
House 2 croft 5 Geshader The old white house on croft 5 Geshader was built next to the old black house, which became the byre and barn for the new house. Yes 29227
House 1 croft 7 Geshader This was the house of Coinneach Ruadh, who came from Penny Donald (Ardroil area). Yes 29276
House 2 croft 10a Geshader The old white house on croft 10a, next to the black house. Yes 29289
Church of Scotland Mission Hall, Arivruach This building is no longer in use as a Mission Hall. Yes 39420
Cromore School, Pairc The new Public School at Cromore, replacing the old thatched school, was built in the late 1870s on the strength of the Education Act of 1872, to accommodate children from Cromore, Crobeg and Torostay. Upon the school... Yes 39490
Baile na Cille Manse (1784) The Manse at Baile na Cille was built c1784 on glebe land just above the shore at Uig Sands, near the ancient cemetery and sanctuary around St Christopher's Chapel. It served as the residence of the Established Church... Yes 40694
Brenish School Brenish Public School replaced an older blackhouse school in Islivig; it is now in ruins. On Christmas Day, 1908 the schoolhouse was the scene of a meeting of 46 crofters and squatters of the district, who had been... Yes 41205
Eaglais Mharcoil The ruins of this church are on No 15 Kirkibost. The visible ruins are of a church that was built at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries by the "two Murdos". One, Murdo Macaulay moved to Tobson, the other was a... Yes 41326
Planasker School, Pairc Planasker School (1880-1973) served the families of Marvig and Calbost and replaced an earlier thatched building on the foreshore. The ruins of this original school can still be seen in the undergrowth just below the... Yes 44873
Post Office, Marvig The first sub-post office in Marvig was established in 1928 by Isobel MacFarlane (Isebal Alasdair Bhig), 10 Marvig, with five shillings she received from her father. She adapted her bedroom to accommodate the office... Yes 44878

Pages