You are here

Boats

Boats

From this page you can browse and search the records in Hebridean Connections.

Title Description Images Id
Iolaire Originally named the Iolanthe, a luxury yacht built in 1881 in Leith, it was subsequently re-named the Amalthaea, Mione and then, requisitioned by the Admiralty during the Great War, as HM Yacht Iolaire. At New Year... 1059
Marquis of Stafford The Marquis of Stafford was a ship that carried some 500 emigrants from Lewis to Quebec in the summer of 1851. It was engaged and provisioned by the Chamberlain of Lews, John Munro Mackenzie, acting on behalf of Sir... 64525
Sir James Matheson The Sir James Matheson SY515 was registered in 1871 by owner Kenneth Smith (Stornoway) under skipper Alexander McLeod of Carloway. However in 1869 she appears to have been sailing out of Valtos skippered by Murdo... 37970
Lady Matheson The Lady Matheson SY516 was owned by Kenneth Smith (Stornoway) and skippered by Murdo Maciver out of Kneep. Two masts and lugs; fishing lines. 7 tons, 25' keel, crew of eight. Lady Matheson herself was the wife of Sir... 37923
An Lair Dhonn This boat was owned by Murdo Mackenzie of Achilty, Crobeg, in the 17th century and was the subject of a poem. 7261
Barlow The Barlow, which took a large number of Hebridean emigrants to Quebec in 1851, was built in 1843 in St John's, New Brunswick. She was captained by P Fraser, sailing out of Greenock, stopping in Lewis en route, and took... 59082
HMS Hermes HMS Hermes was refitted in 1913 to act as the first experimental seaplane carrier of the British Navy. She was converted back into a cruiser and commissioned in May 1913 and was in service at the outbreak of the First... Yes 24322
St Clair The St Clair SY508 (or 568?) was owned by Hector Matheson (curer) and skippered by John Mackay out of Crowlista. 2 masts and lugsails; decked. 8 ton; 31' keel; crew of eight. 38293
Swiftsure Boat - SwiftsureReg. 1934 No. SY 14ft keelMast and lug sail3.13 ton 3 man crewLine fishing and creels Owner /skipper - Malcolm Matheson (Calum Madson), Hacklete Reg. closed 39722
Mary Jane Mary Jane This boat had the distinction of every crew member (other than the skipper) being called Ivor. Crew Neil Macleod, Niall Iomhair, 37 Gravir.Ivor Macleod, Iomhair Dhomhnaill.Ivor Macleod, Louis, 37 Gravir.Ivor... 11040
HMS Actaeon HMS Actaeon was a hulk that, together with HMS Vernon, served as a shore establishment at Sheerness, Kent. From 1904 HMS Actaeon was a torpedo school.  There have also been several other vessels of this name over the... 35765
Mary This fishing boat, SY150, was well known in Gravir in the early years of the 20th century. She was called the 'Mary' and, because of the slender shape, she was appropriately referred to in the village as 'Mairi-Chaol'.... Yes 633
Roselea The Roselea The 'Roselea' was owned by the MacInnes brothers (Balaich Fhionnlaigh) and was still working up to 1953. The boat came to Gravir from Lochboisdale and cost 300. It is thought that the 'Roselea' was built... Yes 11031
White Clover White Clover SY128 Owned by Donald Campbell, 13 Gravir, from 1930 -1940. She was sold in Peterhead in the early 40's. CrewDonald Campbell, 13 Gravir, (Domhnall Ruairidh).Donald Matheson, 27 Gravir, (Domhnall Dhomhnaill... 11041
Handy The Handy SY555 was a beautiful boat which was skippered by Berri, 27 Gravir. She was taken over by the Navy during the War and was used as a harbour service boat, on the mainland. The owners were paid for the use of... 11037
SS Ashworth The SS Ashworth was originally launched as the War Spirea. A steam merchant ship, the Ashworth was sunk by a U-boat in 1942. This website, dedicated to the history of German U-boats, provides more information. 8853
HMS Whirlwind A Destroyer launched in 1917, and commissioned in 1918. HMS Whirlwind was torpedoed and sunk on 5 July 1940 by the German submarine U-34 120 miles west of Lands End. 36839
Coral The Coral SY482 was clinker-built and smaller than the traditional Zulu. She came originally from the East coast of Scotland, possibly from Lossiemouth, and was registered in Stornoway in 1938 by Calum Macmillan, 23... 11039
Excel The Excel This was a smaller boat than the Roselea and was owned by Neil Fraser, 14 Gravir. She was wrecked of the coast of Harris and although she was brought back to Gravir she was considered to be beyond economical... 11038
Maid The Maid SY1170 was owned and skippered by Angus Maclean out of Gisla. 1 mast and lugsail; fishing lines 3 tons, keel 25.5', crew of seven. 38168
HMS Hercules The fourth Hercules was a Colossus-class battleship built by Palmers, launched on May 10, 1910, and commissioned on July 31, 1911 at Portsmouth. She was a 20,000-ton dreadnought, mounting 10 12 inch (305 mm) guns and... 48064
HMS Hood The "Mighty Hood", the longest warship created for the Royal Navy to date, was built in 1918 by John Brown & Co Ltd at Clydebank on the river Clyde. Named after 1st Viscount Hood of Whitley (Lord Samuel Hood), she... 19404
Handy Boat - HandyReg. 1934 No. SY 12ft keelMast and lug sail1.25 ton 3 man crewLine fishing and creels Owner/Skipper - Norman Mackenzie (Goug), 6 TobsonNew owner 1946 John Macdonald (Iain 'an Sciotam), 9 TobsonNew Owner 1949... 39751
Novar Boat - NovarReg. 1889 No. SY 66332 keel2 masts, 4 sails,jigger and jib10 ton 7 man crewLine fishing Owner - Malcolm Macdonald (Calum Ruadh), Thule, TobsonSkipper - Murdo Mackenzie (Murchadh Piobair), Tobson Reg. closed... 39792
HMD Laurel Crown The Laurel Crown, a Royal Navy drifter, was mined on 22nd June 1916. 104736
HMS Asturias The passenger ship Asturias was requisitioned by the Admiralty in 1939 and converted to an armed merchant cruiser. In 1943 she was torpedoed and badly damaged and was towed 700 miles to Freetown. 52280
HMS Clan MacNaughton The HMS Clan MacNaughton was sunk in a storm on 3rd February 1915. 104742
Hope The Hope was owned and skippered by Peter Mackay, 5 Balallan. She was a 10 ton boat with a keel length of 34ft, 2 masts and lug sails and fished using drift nets, crewed by 5 men. 22048
Baden Powell The Baden Powell SY145 was built by John Macaulay of Brenish, and owned and operated by Donald Macaulay out of Islivig. She was named after Baden-Powell, later founder of the scouting movement, but who at the time was a... 38276
Telegram The Telegram was owned and skippered by Angus Macaulay. She was a 1 ton boat with a keel length of 10ft, 1 mast and lug sail, fished using lines and nets and crewed by 4 men. 22071

Pages