Name and Description

Port D, Keose

In 1942, in response to an Admiralty call for volunteers to be trained for particularly difficult and dangerous operations, a number of men were recruited from the Navy and Royal Marines. A group of around thirty men arrived at Loch Erisort aboard the submarine depot ship Titania which anchored between Keose and Garyvard. A landing stage was erected at Keose on the site of the present seaweed factory, which by means of a ladder, gave access to water ranging from twenty feet to thirty feet in depth, ideal for diver's training purposes.

The Keose base was known to the Navy as Port D and was dismanted in September of 1943.

Images and Files

Links and Attributes