Name and Description
Carloway Historical Society / Comann Eachdraidh Chàrlabhaigh
Comann Eachdraidh Chàrlabhaigh was established in 1987 and covers the area from Tolsta Chaolais to Dalmore. It is run by a voluntary committee of 12 who have, through the use of funding, been able to take on employees for specific projects from time to time. The Comann Eachdraidh is based in the Old School Canteen at Carloway Primary School.
Its Collection is predominantly made up of photographs, along with a selection of artefacts, local bàrdachd, croft histories and a variety of other materials such as letters and newspaper cuttings. The Comann Eachdraidh publishes a yearly magazine, Sop às gach Seid, and has also produced local telephone directories and leaflets providing information on local walks.
Past projects include compiling croft histories, recording interviews on local history, and compiling annotated maps of many crofts in the locality. They have also restored a well-known hill-top landmark - a memorial cairn erected in 1902 to mark the Coronation of King Edward VII and to commemorate a bonfire to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. There was also participation in the work surrounding the restoration of Gearrannan Blackhouse Village. Public events include discussions with guest speakers and storytelling evenings. Every year at the Carloway Show, the Comann Eachdraidh organises a display or exhibition. These have included a display of old wedding dresses and demonstrations of creel making and tweed waulking. Each New Year, the Comann Eachdraidh organises a walk to the top of Beinn Iomhair where the district flag, designed by the Comann Eachdraidh, is unfurled.
Contact Details Chair: Alex MacDonaldTreasurer: Iain MacArthurSecretary: Anne MacLean
Telephone No: 01851 643 374Email contact through the Tell Us More button below
or via carlowayhistorical AT hotmail.com
Images and Files
Links and Attributes